sheraton Question

Gag

Yes I have a epiphone by gibson it even say so on the headstock in mother of pearl, the newer ones only say gibson on the truss rod cover mine has a brass truss cover with both names at the top of the headstock .Also on the heal of the neck a little decal says sheraton VSB. I picked this up thru a trade as a good cheap 335 copy but i can't find out anything about it. If any of you kind folks have an idea please let me know . I 'm just curious as to the age etc.. It s definitely a reissue of some sort. Thanks Gag

Interesting, this is............I have a Sheraton I purchased s/hand back in '91. It has "Epiphone by Gibson" and "Vine" inlay on the headstock, the struss cover is black with the white "E". There are no serials numbers or labels to be found. I was told by one of the countries most experienced luthiers that the Epi's of this vintage were probably the best made outside the US, as the asian factory was trying to "prove" to Gibson that they could make quality instruments. The inlay work and playability of mine is faultless, although I did put some Duncan p/ups in years ago..

ChrisO :cool:

thanks guys .Auss my axe also has no numbers and I did read somewhere it might be made in China. There is a toggle switch to split the PU,s located between the knobs. How about yours?Also the brass truss rod cover has the name Kaylin inscribed I'm thinking thats not original. Oh yeah it plays great. Thanx again Gag

The switch is between the knobs and the scratchplate. Mine is tobacco burst with a tortoiseshell scratch plate, although I know a guy who has one of similar vintage that is natural/blonde finish.

thanx again Auss. my main toggle is between the knobs and pickguard but I think I mentioned before that I have a small split coil switch between the knobs what about yours . Cheers Gag

Split-coil switch?.........must have been added on at some time. It certainly wouldn't have been original equipment.

Back