Sheilding for monitors

Kellie's Dad

I'm kinda interested in the Yorkville YSM 1 monitors, so I emailed their site to ask if they were sheided or not. This was the response:

Hi Warren. The YSM1i's do, but not the YSM1's. However bucking magnets are available for them as YSM1MAG from your dealer. Msrp is $6.00 ea. and you install 2 per cabinet.
Mike

Question:
Since I know very little about sheilding do you guys on the forum think that 'bucking magnets' would work adequately to enable me to place the monitors right beside my competer screen?

The idea of bucking magnets is too apply on opposite magnetic field, which should reduce an overall magnetic field around the speaker. The downside is that it somewhat reduces response of the speaker.
When I bought YSM1s, I also bought a pair of bucking magnets. Since my speakers are not real close to the monitor those magnets were never used. They are pretty powerful ring-shaped pieces, which should be glued to the back of the speakers magnets.
I also remember seeing somewhat conflicting instruction on where to attach those magnets. One source suggested to attach them to tweaters, another - to woofers. Its been a while and I don't remember all details, but an engineers at Yorkville said that both these applications are ok. In case of woofers, though, the suggestion was to break magnets in halves, otherwise they do not fit (?).
It appears, that now they offer 2 magnets per box, i.e. one for each speaker.

Back