Share your art?

Cloneboy Studio said:
I've heard some amazing stuff done here, however. Sometimes on less than stellar gear.

but unfortunately, most of the stuff is pretty sub par and you can immediately tell the difference between the home grown and the home blown. It seems almost 90% of the stuff is with people just starting out...WHICH IS GREAT...but the recordings reflect that.

I think some of the home grown killer players have come and gone.....due to all the slop that is there now.

I probably have had over 2000 reviews there in the past, but haven't said a word there in about a year it seems. You get weary of walking on eggshells trying to comment on something out of tune, out of beat, no high end, fuzzy guitars, bad writing, no chops...

Boy...that was a negative post :confused:

The Seifer said:
click here to hear cloneboy studio take his own advice. "DFS - MY BIOGRAPHY" really shows off his skills.

Heh, that was from about 3 years ago done on my home recording setup using a Mackie CR1604, some SM57's, 2 Rode NT1's into an HD24 and processed using only crappy Cool Edit Pro plugins. :)

It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it was all I had after my G3/MOTU system with Waves Platinum died.

Heck, that was done before I even started charging people. The band that did that song were only 15 and 16 years old!

Plus, the singing is *hilariously* bad.

Most of that stuff in that folder isn't stuff I even recorded, but stuff friends of mine needed hosting for. Heck, the SMD track *is* mine... that was recorded on a Tascam 4 track cassette portastudio in 1988 when I was 17 years old! Plus that tape sat around for about 12 years before a friend ripped it to an mp3 and sent it to me for old time's sake. Of course that sucks!

We all have a past. You'd be mistaken if you thought I was embarassed of mine. :rolleyes:

What *IS* funny is that I'm doing a session with that same band right now. Later this week I'll post the results.

Last edited:
MixMkr - You're right. I did a little digging around and found a lot of mediocre stuff and some that really was just over fuzzy guitars (which covers a multitude of sins). Has anyone found any gems they'd recommend?

I also posted my first recording of my daughter fiddling.
Aside from a few squeeks I couldn't suppress and a couple of tempo problems I promise it's not boring.
(Full disclosure I posted on the MP3 site for comments.)

One question about NoWhereRadio: After posting the MP3 the LoFi & HiFi options don't seem to work; I get a message saying "Windows Media Player cannot connect to the server. The server name may be incorrect or the server is busy. Try again later." But downloading the MP3 and playing it works fine.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4373&alid=-1

jhughs said:
MixMkr - You're right. I did a little digging around and found a lot of mediocre stuff and some that really was just over fuzzy guitars (which covers a multitude of sins). Has anyone found any gems they'd recommend?

I also posted my first recording of my daughter fiddling.
Aside from a few squeeks I couldn't suppress and a couple of tempo problems I promise it's not boring.
(Full disclosure I posted on the MP3 site for comments.)

One question about NoWhereRadio: After posting the MP3 the LoFi & HiFi options don't seem to work; I get a message saying "Windows Media Player cannot connect to the server. The server name may be incorrect or the server is busy. Try again later." But downloading the MP3 and playing it works fine.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4373&alid=-1

j

I think you will find a range of people here with different levels of musical, engineering, and recording skills; all ranges of recording equipment; and a variety of goals with regards to their music. Some of us make music as a hobby, with no intention of seeking stardom. Some are up-and-comers trying to make it in the music industry. Many are professional musicians who take an interest in recording themselves and/or their bands. Still others record & engineer music for a living. As such, the opinions and egos of members often clash. Likewise, talent is often lacking/unfocused.

The mp3 clinic is filled with duds, but there are occasional gems. People post their song ideas, mixing attempts, and finished products for others' opinions. I take the position that it is a place to get advice and help, as well as praise. If you only want the praise, you are in the wrong place (and the wrong business). When it gets ugly, it's usually because some hotshot thinks his/her sound is "it" when it so obviously is not "it." Artists, in general, are "fragile creatures" and do not take criticism well. They reject the advice offered, throw a temper-tantrum, etc. Some of the reactions are comical.

As for who to listen to, it depends on what you like. I tend to look for good songwriting. If it's a good song, I don't care if it was recorded on a tape deck with Mr. Microphone! On the other hand, if the song sucks, no amount of musical or engineering wizardry will save it. Here are a few of my favorites among HR.com members:

emser - excellent songs with superb pop/electronica production
chris harris - country songwriter with a daughter who sings like an angel
sprayfe - this guy will occasionally post something so good that it makes me want to stop writing songs altogether
kevin deschwazi - very good lo-fi beauties
madaudio - humorous pop/rock ditties that always make me smile

others have great engineering and musical skills, like cloneboy, jake-owa, darnold, et al.

There are plenty of other talented people here (so don't worry if I forgot your name :) ). I spend a lot of time in the mp3 clinic offering advice (despite the fact that I have no authority to do so) and listening because it improves my ears to hear what others are doing well/not-so-well.

Oh, and you can listen to my songs by clicking my sig.

mixmkr said:
...weary of walking on eggshells trying to comment on something out of tune, out of beat, no high end, fuzzy guitars, bad writing, no chops...
Wow, every reason I've never posted in the clinic! I know my stuff sounds like s**t, and don't need anyone to tell me that (at least at this point).

Over a period of time, reading certain peoples posts, I get a mental image of certain given persons. I've envisioned Bob Ross, Carl Sagan, Various news-broadcasters, etc...

My newest would be Simon Cowell, a.k.a. Cloneboy. I have nearly pissed myself on several occasions reading his reviews of certain delusional persons in the clinic...

Sorry cloneboy, no offense intended, I can't help it! :D
Please don't tear me too big of a new arse if/when I post in there... :o

scrubs said:
j

I think you will find a range of people here with different levels of musical, engineering, and recording skills; all ranges of recording equipment; and a variety of goals with regards to their music. Some of us make music as a hobby, with no intention of seeking stardom. Some are up-and-comers trying to make it in the music industry. Many are professional musicians who take an interest in recording themselves and/or their bands. Still others record & engineer music for a living. As such, the opinions and egos of members often clash. Likewise, talent is often lacking/unfocused.

Thanks. I'll look up some of your recommendations.

I realized long after I wrote that post that I'd inadvertently insulted some of the very helpful people who'd suggested their links and I honestly hadn't checked all of them yet. Sorry all (but you all mostly seem thick skinned so no big deal hopefully). Bygones? ;)

Last edited:
Back