Shallow Graves - Rock/Alternative

I listened on headphones. Mix sounded good. I bit more high end on the vocals would not hurt. Levels all seemed good, no nits to my ears.

Cool riffs. The transitions from the doubled wide panned guitars and the verses are really defined, too much in my opinion. It may be just that the wide guitars need to be turned down some, don't pan as wide, or the verse guitar needs to be doubled as well.

Also, I think the bass is a little low.

Good song though

Thanks DM60!

Bruthish - I'm not sure I understand. How do you mean too defined? Like too obvious? It's meant to be a dynamic; heavy to soft. So it's kinda meant to be obvious. Is this what you mean?

Thanks.

Thanks DM60!

Bruthish - I'm not sure I understand. How do you mean too defined? Like too obvious? It's meant to be a dynamic; heavy to soft. So it's kinda meant to be obvious. Is this what you mean?

Thanks.

Yes, just my opinion though. I get what your doing dynamically, I just thinks its too drastic of a change up. I will listen to it again, maybe it will strike me differently the second time. Maybe someone else will hear it too. If not, then disregard my comments lol

Yea, I do kinda like it like that, it's a subjective thing. I've increased the bass, the link above works for the new version.

Thanks. :)

Listening again, I think that its the centered verse guitar that is throwing me. I think if it was panned left or right 50% it would be so drastic sounding. But, yes, its all subjective. Regardless, its a really cool song. Great job.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'll have a play about. Maybe I could pan the bass one way say 30% and the guitar 30% the other side?

Is the bass better? I think you were right about that.

cymbals a bit bright/elongated decay? hats sounded ok though. Guitars sound like there's something missing...like perhaps a big, deep cut somewhere in the mids?

Good to see you back.

I like the song. Guitars sound good. Playing is solid. Drum sound good though you've got that repetitive crash thing going on that we talked about before--not as OTT as before. Two criticisms. First, your vocal sounds masked and needs to jump out more. Second, you're too compressed for my tastes. You've got the volume boosted in the softer parts to the point where the perceived volume on the louder parts actually goes down, not up. At least that's my perception. More dynamics would breath life into your mix, IMO. I could stand to hear more bass.

The bass needs some attention, I think. It's present but not particularly well defined in the cans, less present through the monitors, and hard to hear thru the Avantone.

Last edited:
Good to see you back.

I like the song. Guitars sound good. Playing is solid. Drum sound good though you've got that repetitive crash thing going on that we talked about before--not as OTT as before. Two criticisms. First, your vocal sounds masked and needs to jump out more. Second, you're too compressed for my tastes. You've got the volume boosted in the softer parts to the point where the perceived volume on the louder parts actually goes down, not up. At least that's my perception. More dynamics would breath life into your mix, IMO. I could stand to hear more bass.

Thanks. I'll stick around a bit more. :)

I want to bring be energy up for the last part. I'm not sure how else to do it, the crash thing seems to work for me here. It is a common technique, but I see your point. It worked quite well in another song and I wouldn't change it there but maybe I could here, it's just nothing else seems to bring up the intensity as much as that does and that's what I'm looking to do.

The only compression I have is on the vocals, lead guitar, drums and on the overall mix. It's not a lot at all either. I think I did notice what you are noticing but I wasn't sure, so I figured it was unnoticeable. I guess I was wrong! I'll make the compression even more subtle.

The bass needs some attention, I think. It's present but not particularly well defined in the cans, less present through the monitors, and hard to hear thru the Avantone.

I can hear the bass very well through my monitors. I'll have a little look at the EQ.

I would turn turn off the autotune. The singing shouldn't sound mechanic in this kind of style.

You can notice it that easily? I wouldn't say it's an aggressive amount of autotune. Anyone else notice it? There's a short delay on the vocal, perhaps it's that?

Listened on a non-monitor system with a subwoofer and satellite speakers. Mix sounded nice and full without anything to really adjust dramatically to my ears, but I mostly make electronic music myself and listen to prog rock when I want this kind of pleasing sound. So no expert! But! Good work!

Back