Sh*t Brick Limit

Noah Nelson

this guy has been sending me hip hop beats (already mastered, they are limited a CRAZY amount and the wavs look like square shit bricks) and i record hip hop vocals on top of them. ..I recently got him to send us the stems of the beats afterwards WITHOUT his master on it and im left to do the limiting.
1.What is a "safe range" to set the thresh hold, release and ceiling for?(i know all tracks are different i just want to get an idea of what other producers are doing)
2. What does "too much limiting" sound like?
3. i hate dealing with shitbricks

1) TOTALLY dependent on the mix.

2) Dependent on the mix. I basically hate the sound of limiting (period). Not that I'm not as guilty as the next guy in applying (far) too much far too often - But what I'd give to not need to...

3) I'll go along with that. And no doubt at all -- Trying to put something reasonably dynamic (like a vocal performance) on top of "pre-crushed" material is ridiculous. Even the guys making beats can't let themselves understand the damage they're doing. Loudness war = pissing contest.

It's true though - The listening public certainly never asked for this... It's always been a pissing contest between [labels and bands] and that's about it.

Personally, I think that if the average listener actually knew what all these recordings could've sounded like, there'd be an uproar...

it's true though - the listening public certainly never asked for this... It's always been a pissing contest between [labels and bands] and that's about it.

Personally, i think that if the average listener actually knew what all these recordings could've sounded like, there'd be an uproar...

Back