Seventh Circle Audio success

Will all you take a serious look at what you are saying? Are you seriously egging on a 16 year old kid to start playing around with mains?

I think a statement like "You don't have to know much about electricity" includes "You should know better than to futz around with this thing while sitting in a warm bath." I meant that you don't need to be an engineer - not even close. These were my first kits and I did just fine with them.

How many people have died building SCA pre-amps? I want some numbers. Driving to the studio is much more dangerous.

TravisinFlorida said:
I must either be a cat or I should be dead. :D I can't count how many times I've gotten buzzed by 110.........last time was a couple of days ago actually. :D

I've gotten me some 220 too. That's the good stuff.

Yeah, 110's for the faint hearted! Try 240 in your left hand, fresh out of the shower. (Happened to me - chucked me backwards into the dog basket, where I remained for some moments, barking.)

I thought electricity was going to take the shortest path of the least resistance to ground. Well if that path just so happens to be through your heart well, It was nice knowing you.

I also thought for that 5mA voltage to be lethal you need a lot of current. You know the whole ohm's law thing?

Sonic Idiot said:
I think a statement like "You don't have to know much about electricity" includes "You should know better than to futz around with this thing while sitting in a warm bath." I meant that you don't need to be an engineer - not even close. These were my first kits and I did just fine with them.

How many people have died building SCA pre-amps? I want some numbers. Driving to the studio is much more dangerous.

I agree. Other than from the mains outlet to the primary of the power transformer, there's nothing in a preamp box that comes close to killing anyone, 16 years old or otherwise.

Now, if it was a tube power amp, for example, where secondary voltages can way exceed mains power, I'd have to take a different stance!

bigwillz24 said:
I thought electricity was going to take the shortest path of the least resistance to ground. Well if that path just so happens to be through your heart well, It was nice knowing you.

I also thought for that 5mA voltage to be lethal you need a lot of current. You know the whole ohm's law thing?

5mA is the current.

altitude909 said:
Will all you take a serious look at what you are saying? Are you seriously egging on a 16 year old kid to start playing around with mains?
I think he'll be OK :rolleyes: how long before he can sign up and be sent off to Iraq? A year? 2 years?

I'd say that's more dangerous than building a preamp from a kit.

Ok let me get this straight once and for all this stuff confused the hell out of me in electronics class too...

E = Voltage, measured in Volts,
I = Current, measured in Amps,
R = Resistance, measured in Ohms,
P = Power, Measured in Watts

I always get the P, I, and E mixed up. :o

altitude909 said:
it's ok, i took a basic electronics class last year, and my teacher told us not to put our fingers in the outlets :D

i have some OK knowledge with electronics, and a lot of people that can help me (experts, so to speak?)

i was hoping someone would come along and say- yeah just use a power supply from ...

so maybe it would be better to buy the SCA one.

bigwillz24 said:
Ok let me get this straight once and for all this stuff confused the hell out of me in electronics class too...

E = Voltage, measured in Volts,
I = Current, measured in Amps,
R = Resistance, measured in Ohms,
P = Power, Measured in Watts

it only gets worse. second- level phyics work involves the use ?,

but that sign probably didnt come up, its the infinity sign.

i always get that confused with ? and ƒ.

i doubt those signs worked either.

5 mA is not a lot of current, you would probably need hundreds of thousands of volts for this to be lethal (ala stun gun)

TragikRemix said:
so maybe it would be better to buy the SCA one.
Probably, buillding the PSU I linked to earlier would be easy and very cheap, but bypassing the regulation on board the SCA pre boards might be a bit tricky.

bigwillz24 said:
The P and I part aren't that hard: PI = 3.14159....

The E part is harder - has something to do with mass and the speed of light.

:D :rolleyes: ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Only thing is you might need to source 7818/7918 voltage regulators to get +/- 18v (the green runs off +/- 15v so Bryan may only have 7815/7915). Not difficult parts to get though.

That wont work. You will also need a new transformer thats at least 36V CT. With a full wave rectifier, a 30V one will not have enough voltage to power 7x18's (you will get about 16.5VDC after the bridge on each leg)

but bypassing the regulation on board the SCA pre boards might be a bit tricky.

Bad idea, it will have supporting circuitry in the form of diodes and filter caps before and after the reg to deal with the step up trafo (the phantom power), so you definitely do not want to bypass any power circuitry thats there. The worst that can happen is that you would fry the opamp by bypassing a protection diode and the best would introducing some noise into the system.

I say go with their psu since they have already looked at how much current the system draws, how much ripple they tolerate, how big a transformer is required etc. Otherwise, you can either guess at those numbers or compute them yourself

if you buy the chassis, PSU and one kit, they give you a $267 discount, which is like getting a free PSU with a chassis and a kit.

not a bad deal at all, honestly.

we'll see what happens after the holidays..

The only reason to consider not using their power supply is that you already have a suitable power supply sitting around. Otherwise, it's probably not worth trying to save money on. This is especially true if you're going to build multiple modules, where the cost of the supply amortizes out across several preamps.

i'm really hoping to get something going with them around the holidays...

my soon-to-be father in law works for lockheed martin, and after a conversation with him, i discovered he is an electrical engineer!!!

looks like i can have this stuff done right, quick, and free :D

orksnork said:
i'm really hoping to get something going with them around the holidays...

my soon-to-be father in law works for lockheed martin, and after a conversation with him, i discovered he is an electrical engineer!!!

looks like i can have this stuff done right, quick, and free :D
I know some electrical engineers who never picked up a soldering iron in their lives... and some of the ones that did... probably shouldn't

Do it yourself, man! I see you winking over there, but again, my whole point at the start of the thread was your uncle doesn't have to be Tesla to put these kits together. To help, I'll make a scale in percent of skills required to build SCA kits:

Patience: 45%
Soldering: 45%
Multi meter reading: 5%
Cigarettes: 2%
Big, yummy beer: 2%
EE skills: 1% (margin of error +/- 1%)

Back