128 mb ram
Creative Live PLatinum Soundcard w/ live drive
Soundforge, acid pro, cakewalk, enless plugins and effects
yamaha mx 12/4 mixer
no real monitors as of yet
hp 8x cd burner
20-gb hard-drive

how's this setup for home recording
What should be some good mics taht i should keep in mind? (the shure 57 and 58?)

I want to start recording and don't have much experience?
I have been in a real studio and recorded an album of my own but we used ADAT for analog recording. Should I attend a school or do my own thing?

You should be able to do some nice stuff with this setup. For mics I would recommend an SM-57 ad a dynamic mic and a decent condenser mic. I have a RODE NT-1 and I think it sounds great for acoustic guitar; nothing can make my singing sound good, but it comes across loud and clear. They have a new model that's a bit cheaper (NT-3, is it?) and a couple of other fancier ones. I think decent monitors are your next priority. I still can't believe the difference when I went from small consumer stereo speakers to the small powered Alesis M1 Actives.

As far as learning, read the FAQs at the HomeRecording.com website, and any others you can find; read some books; ask questions; and practice, practice, practice with your system. If a local school has a recording curriculum you might consider taking classes.

Back