Setup: Analog mixer/external mic pre into Logic

sugar382

Hi guys,

Been trying to upgrade my home recording setup to suit my knack for a more colored, analog sound. I'm just another guy after that "analog warmth" (surprise, surprise). Anyways, I'm currently recording everything direct into my Apogee Duet with Logic, and relying on amp simulators and comp. plug-ins, etc. which has worked out okay, but I'd like to warm up and get a better direct sound at the source going in.

I'd like to record 4-8 tracks simultaneously for drums. I like them to sound gritty and sorta blown out like 60's psych stuff, the new Tame Impala record is sorta what I had in mind. My question is, should I invest in an old tube mic preamp, an audio interface with more inputs, or an old mixer and just use the internal pres? Still kinda new to this stuff. What's the best way of going about this? Could I run multiple mics through a tube pre? And how does one hook this up to an interface? I've noticed some old pres has RCA out, how does that work?

Any recommendations, directions, advice, smug comments, a point in the right direction are all greatly appreciated. I'm just a noob that wants to figure this stuff out. Thank you so much.

"Analog warmth" is a pretty vague term. Do you mean tape? Tape compression? Outboard preamps (which whether ic, transistor, or tube are "analog" by definition, well anything before the A/D is analog....) And what do you mean by recording "everything" direct. (you mention drums, but I'm assuming you only have two inputs?) otherwise are we talking synths, what? And are you recording instruments direct in, using a direct box, an amp line out, or micing an amp?

If you're looking to be able to hit tape hard and get that "tape compression" you need a tape deck. 1/2" 8 track (e.g. Tascam 38) or 1/4" four track (e.g. Tascam 34B) would suffice based on what you say. Narrow gauge machines (e.g. Tascam MSR-16 or Fostex R8) really require noise reduction, so you're not going to get the "tape compression effect" on something like that (and you'd likely get cross talk if you hit the levels too hard). With a multitrack tape deck you'll need a board as well. For recommendations post in the analog forum.

You could try out one of the Tascam cassette portastudios (4 or 8 track) that may be the sound you are looking for, and you can do most of the work on tape and send a mix to the computer. Also, there are a lot of cheaper "tube" this and that, where the tube is used under its design voltage to add distortion as an effect. It's a trick to operate the tube out of its design (by that meaning linear) parameters, but it does work to add "warmth" although it can be pretty subtle. Berhinger even had an 8 channel piece designed solely for that. (T1950)

You haven't stated your budget either. Any of the above will get you there somewhat. E.g. the older Teac boards (Teac 3/5/15) have transformer coupled preamps, which IMO sound pretty nice. But "investing in an old tube mic preamp" is likely an expensive proposition. If money is no object, go for it. Any or all of the above may impact your sound, but again, it depends on what you are after, what style of music you do, and what your methods are.

Additionally you haven't said anything about your space, which may be 'coloring' your (at least drum) sound already. As far as direct in goes, I built a tube preamp (with actual high voltages) that I use, that gives me (depending on the tube inserted 12AU7 mellow to 12AX7 distorted like all get out) a sound I like. Conversely, close micing with a dynamic mic a shoebox size modeling amp wasn't so bad either.

Back