Settings Wrong Need Help

Orson

I just spent all afternoon editing a recording of the sea. The recording was ok up until I edited it or rendered it.

I had to cut out many spoilt parts and then joined them together and everything sounded perfect. Then I rendered it as a stereo wave file and all these peaks which clip/click have appeared in the rendered file which werent there before.

I think I have some setting wrong but cant think what. My brain is fried trying to work this out.

The recording was a little quiet in my ears because I like it turned up loud to edit I added 12 decibels to raise the volume. Did I do wrong here?

Any Reaper experts out there please I need help.

Last edited:
Here's one way to go about it..

When you go to render, instead of clicking 'Render 1 file', click 'Dry Run..' so you can check your levels first.

While it's running, you'll see a level for LUFS-I near the bottom right corner of the render window. Try adjusting the Master fader during the Dry Run so this stays around 14 LUFS. Then, if that's not loud enough in your ears, increase your headphone volume on your interface, then go ahead and click 'Render 1 file'.

Here's one way to go about it..

When you go to render, instead of clicking 'Render 1 file', click 'Dry Run..' so you can check your levels first.

While it's running, you'll see a level for LUFS-I near the bottom right corner of the render window. Try adjusting the Master fader during the Dry Run so this stays around 14 LUFS. Then, if that's not loud enough in your ears, increase your headphone volume on your interface, then go ahead and click 'Render 1 file'.
Thanks for that but what has caused the clipping which wasnt there on the original files. The clipping only appears after rendering to a stereo wave file.

Oh, ok. I mentioned the above because I had a similar clipping distortion in one of my renders. When I rendered again to check levels, I noticed the meters in the render window were fully pegged into the red. When I reduced the Master on a second render my problem went away.

The recordig may be quiet, but adding 12db was probabky a bit extreme. I'd go half that, then after you've rendered it, adjust its level (if needed) in whatever you are going to use it for. If it's an SFX for a video or other audio track, it doesn't ned to be loud.

Back