Setting up to play midi

malgovert

Hello

I used to do a fair bit of recording but have been out of the loop, so to speak, for a few years now. I used CWPA8 on an old Pentium 3 and a Soundblaster Live card which allowed me to use a lot of soundfonts. Recently, however, I finally got round to upgrading, but the problem is I am now dealing with newfangled equipment that I don't fully understand (Got Rain Livebook, Sonar 8 Producer, Focusrite 18i6 USB 2.0 Audio Interface.

The good news is that I managed to get my CWPA8 audio bundles off my old computer and onto the new one, and I can open them in Sonar. I can also play the audio through my monitors, which are plugged into the back of the 18i6. But the midi is playing out through the keyboard speaker (the keyboard/interface midi ins/outs are hooked up to each other), whereas on the old computer the midi played through the monitors. I've studied the track properties in both sequencers (pro audio and sonar) and they are identical. I thought the midi data would be converted by the audio interface into instrument sounds which would then play through the monitors along with the audio - is this not correct? And if not, how do I get the midi tracks in sonar to play the sounds I want through the monitors along with the audio?

Thanks a lot.

Im thinking the root of your problem is you didn't put the SBlive into your new pc .. in the old pc (with the sblive) you had another 2 midi devices that you loaded your soundfonts into,i`m guessing that these sb drivers were top in the list in your old setup,you used them when making your tracks ... problem is there is now no sblive to play the soundfonts and the trigger notes for them in the piano roll are now using another device (your external keyboard) as default ...

if you were using breakbeats,looped samples e.t.c then you now need to either install the sblive and continue to use that for compatibility (or maybe record their outputs to tracks and remove it later ;) ) or use a vst that will support them, the vst will be a nightmare to set up as you will have to do it in every track in every project (ouch)

if your only using instruments (like piano,bass e.t.c) and not loops or custom banksets then its simply remapping the sounds to new instruments :)

and if i typed all this crap and i`m not on the right track and all you wanted was to hook the audio out up to your speakers i`m gonna be mighty pissed off :guitar:

Back