Setting up my Tascam TRS-8

Ok, I think I have my info in order. I have a Tascam TRS-8 and I want to set it up with my Soundtracs MRX series mixing board. It's 40 channels and busses to 8. I'm only using the first 24 channels. The board is set up to go to the computer where I use Reaper. I want to take the computer totally out of the equation…so my signal hits the mic>board>tape machine and then I'd like it to play back through the board so I can mix. These aren't pictures of my board, but its the same board. Any thoughts would be helpful.

View attachment 70471
View attachment 70472
View attachment 70473

If you're wanting to take your computer out of the picture, then simply patch the 8 program buss outs on the mixer to the 8 line inputs on the TSR-8 and then connect the line outs of the TSR-8 to 8 line inputs of the mixer and you're done.

If after that, you still want to transfer the tape results to your computer, use the 8 direct outs on the channels which have the 8 tape returns going into the mixer and connect those direct outs to your motu and then into your computer.

This will allow you to track in analog and then add on/mix on the PC. Or if you really want to keep it simple, just master directly to stereo recorder of your choice and do the mix on the mixer itself, so long as you have some outboard gear to work with, compressors, reverbs, etc.

Cheers! :)

Back