Setting up my headphone amp

justwantyou2kno

I'm about to buy a behringer headphone amp HA-8000 amp, but before I buy it I want to know what else I'm going to need with it. I'm putting together my set-up to record a 5 piece band. (2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drummer). Each of the different musicians will have a different mix in their headphones via the insert of each channel on the headphone amp, but I need to know where to get the signal for the inserts on the amp. Should I buy a DI box for each guitarist, then split the signal (one going to their amp, one going to the headphone amp insert?) or should I split the signal that is going to my mixer? I'm thinking that's the best idea, so the guitarists can hear their instruments as they are being recorded. What should I buy that'll split the signal? It doesnt have to b great uality, because it won't be getting recorded, it'll just be sent out to the headphone amp.

I explained as well as I could, ask questions if I was not clear (I'm not very good at explaining)

Thanks for any help, Nick

Usually you use the Aux sends or busses on your mixer or some outputs on your soundcard to feed the headphone amp.

i've got a HA4700 and a smackie 24*4 board. this is what i do:

run one of the headphone outs from the smackie into the "direct in" (which is a main input) on the front. this provides the "main mix" for all the channels. using the headphone out instead of the main out gives me a lot more gain going to the can amp than i'd get if i used the main outs from the board, since the smackie is unpowered. ample clean gain going to the can amp is pretty crucial, b/c the behringers sound bad (worse? :D) if they have to make up too much gain on their own.

then i run cables from the aux sends on the smackie to the various aux inputs on the channels on the HA4700. then each musician gets to tell me what extra they'd like from the aux sends, and then they get to determine how much of the "extra" they get in combination with the "main" (the main/aux pot on the 4700).

pretty simple and VERY accomodating to the musicians, assuming you've got enough aux sends on your board to accomodate it (and don't need em for other things like reverbs, etc). i've got 6 aux sends on the smackie and 4 channels on the 4700, so i've got 2 to spare. YMMV

wade

PS--then on the back, i also put in a line from one of the pairs of outs from my delta 1010, so i can monitor that too. i also usually throw a pair of inputs from a cd player, too, so i can practice drums easily.

Back