Setting up Mono Tracks

EZWriter

Being a newbie (and because I can't figure out how to set up mono tracks) I've been recording all in stereo. I know. Goofie. But when I click record on stereo I record. When I click record on mono I get no input. What silly thing have I missed? This is Win 7 running Cubase AI4 and using a Yamaha Audiogram 6.

Edited to add. Just tried it again. I can record fine on stereo tracks. But when I switch over to a mono track I see input at the bottom of the screen but nothing records on that track. What gives?

Last edited:
I can see now that Cubase is going to be a long learning curve even without adding in drums. I can't seem to get it to give me sound in both ears even when recording on a stereo or a mono track and it will not do anything when I move the slide bar on the mixer above the track to move sound from one ear to the other. In addition I can choose ports for stereo but can't seem to find any for mono. Finally I'm still having the latency horrors. Even when I drop down to 512 for input I can't seem to make my guitar or voice mesh with the drum track... Can anyone help?

When you're recording a mono signal, you want to select Mono when creating a new track. Be sure to select the appropriate Input to match whatever channel your signal is on. If you're still having problems, posting a screenshot helps a lot.

Here's a screenshot. I closed the computer and reopened running nothing but Cubase. I imported the audio file of the guitar and computer and before I could even finish setting up a new mono track I got this...

Error.JPG

I should add that I closed that error window and went ahead and recorded the track. The VST little monitor never told me I was overloading the disk this time, in fact it never moved. But I began to get static. Every time I opened the device manager and told my Yamaha to go to highest latency (even though it was already there) the static would stop for a few seconds, then start up again. After closing Cubase I still had the static and I had to unplug the usb cord and replug it to get rid of the static...

I'm really getting frustrated. I rebooted and tried to record one track of singing. Before I was half done even though the VST monitor showed no usage whatsoever I was getting the staticy kind of purring click in my ear. Why would this get worse after working for a few days and letting me record multiple tracks even when I was stupid and recording all four in stereo?

Hmm, interesting. Mind you, i have no experience with the Yamaha interface, so not sure how it should be set up. Two things come to mind that you can try. 1) Reload the ASIO drivers for your yamaha, or 2) when creating a Mono track, select a stereo input source, but only Right or Left as appropriate.

Everytime I create a Mono track in Cubase SE3, I have to select the Right or Left of a stereo pair. Maybe you can try ignoring the Mono inputs of the yamaha and see if that works.

Also, the error message might be indicating a problem with the ASIO driver.

Have you got this problem solved??

If not, try this. In your VST Connections window delete all of the inputs/busses. Now create one mono input and select the correct input on your interface.

Back