Setting up bass after string change

pjh6467

I'm currently looking for a bass guitar for home recording. Found one set up nice at a local shop. When I asked if he sets them up at purchase, he told me that it wouldn't matter because basses need to be set up every time you change the strings unless you use the exact same strings all the time. It has been my understanding that you don't mess with the truss rod too much on guitars. Are basses different? Where can I get the tool for rod adjustment? And how can I check the string gauge of what's on there now? The bass is in good shape and the action is like butter,a good find. Any replies appreciated. Thanks. Pj

If the shop sells bass strings, just open some packets until you find one that's the same. It's easy enough to tell. Yes, you would normally need to change the set up when moving to different gauges, as the different tensions will affect neck relief (and therefore action as a side effect), and also intonation.

Can you buy some new strings and then get them to walk you through the setup process in the shop? There are three distinct phases; getting the neck relief right by adjusting the truss rod (using a hex wrench - very slowly and carefully, one 1/4 turn adjustment at a time), setting the action by adjusting the bridge height, and getting correct intonation by adjusting bridge saddle position. There is a guide somewhere on the bass guitar forums at www.talkbass.com, it's something every bass player should be able to do, but it would be better to have somebody show you the process first time.

I will also say that in my experience taking all of the strings off at the same time can be not so good for your bass. I try to change my strings one at a time to avoid any serious changes in tension to the neck. I once took off all of the strings on my six string bass at the same time and replaced them with the same guage and once it was strung back up it was all out of whack. So needless to say, I don't do that anymore.

Generally the tool for turning the truss rod nut is found at the hardware store. Sometimes it's just a screwdriver (many Fenders), sometimes it's a hex nut driver, sometimes it's an Allen wrench.

Setting up a bass (or guitar, for that matter) is not rocket science, but do expect to spend some time doing it. Make small adjustments, check the results, and repeat until satisfactory.

Don't make permanent changes, like enlarging the nut grooves, until you're sure you love the strings!

Back