Setting up a SUB with my PROTOOLS rig

Nick The Man

I can't figure it out for some reason...

I have a 003 Rack and I want to buy a powered sub and connect it to the 003. But how would I even go about doing this?

The 003 has main outs which my monitors are hooked up to now. The only thing I could think of is the fact that the main outs correspond with outputs 1-2. And there are 8 outputs on the back. So maybe if I throw the sub on output 3 I'll just magically have sound. But I believe if this would work I would only get sound from my sub when I'm running Pro Tools and not when I'm just for example playing music on windows media player.

I was thinking maybe a Mackie Big Knob would clear up this problem, but for some reason I just cannot wrap my head around it.

Any thoughts, Anyone have done this already?

NICK
:cool:

PS: I'm looking at the JBL LSR2310SP thoughts on that?

003 outputs to the sub and the sub's outputs to the monitors (or monitor amplifier).

Then make sure it's very precisely calibrated... Unless you're prepared to go through the trouble/expense of having the system properly calibrated, don't bother adding the sub.

While we're on the subject - the Presonus Central Station is fairly unique in the output signal path --- It allows for (A-or-B-PLUS-C) on the main outputs. So if you're using the sub 'raw' - which isn't a bad idea if the system is precisely calibrated for it - it's an ideal application.

Last edited:
Jesus, how did I miss that. Thanks man. But anyways, could you evaluate on what it takes to calibrate? Do you mean buying a crossover and dialing it in? Or adjusting my room?

Also, If I were to get the Central Station or Big Knob how would I go about hooking that up? Monitors on A and sub on B and then any alternate monitors on C? Right?

I have my Big Knob set up like this:

Monitor A: Adam A7's
Monitor B: Yamaha NS10's
Monitor C: Sub

Works swelltastic for me! :)

The sub is dialed in just enough to notice it's there or missing when listening in combo with the other monitors... Pretty much non-existent when standing alone.

:)

Jesus, how did I miss that. Thanks man. But anyways, could you evaluate on what it takes to calibrate? Do you mean buying a crossover and dialing it in? Or adjusting my room?
I'd suggest having someone with the tools and experience to come in and do it. Inches are going to make huge differences between "reasonable" and "complete crap." Don't get me wrong - You should have the tools and knowledge of how to shoot a room yourself. But don't 'learn on the fly' with something as vital as adding a sub. Calibrating a stereo chain is a piece of cake: http://www.massivemastering.com/blog/index_files/Calibrating_Your_Monitoring_Chain.php -- But adding a sub changes everything.

Also, If I were to get the Central Station or Big Knob how would I go about hooking that up? Monitors on A and sub on B and then any alternate monitors on C? Right?
Yup. It would be a parallel sub setup. Again, VITALLY IMPORTANT that the sub would then be setup in a very precise manner (and only reproducing frequencies below the monitors) if you're bypassing the internal crossover. A lot of time, a lot of room shooting, a lot of adjusting bass traps -- Or just don't do it.

Back