Setting up a new router

ollie99

Hi I know this isn't that connected to home recording but I know that I can trust this forum to give me some good answers.
At the moment we have this piece of rubbish which always breaks so I am going to buy a new router, most likely this one.
I do not think it will be as simple as unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in then just searching for the network, so could you tell me all the steps I need to take? And could you also tell me any possible things that I might need to bare in mind or might go wrong so I can prepare for it or see if it will affect us all?
I'm sorry, I don't know a lot about routers and don't want to waste £110 because it isn't compatible with something idk whatever might go wrong.
Thanks.

ot sure the total setup in the UK, but it should go something like this, provider modem connect to the personal router. You may have to check with your internet provider on how to setup the interfacing between their modem and your router. This will make it easier to connect and save you a lot of time. There are general setting they will provide and make this rather easy.

Next will be to get your computers to connect to the router. Set up SSID with a name and make sure you encrypt it (password protect it). Several reasons for this, if people can connect to your wireless, they are inside your network. That means, they can see file sharing, printers, etc. So, lock it down. I usually hide my SSID but it is a pain in the ass when new people want to connect, so easiest is, just put some password on it and you should be fine.

The most complex is to set your router to manage the internal IP addresses. Quick run down on how that works. Your Internet provider gets the real IP address. Then they provide a subset IP address to their customers. The customer either uses that (direct connection with one computer to their modem (or a router they provide, multi IPs for the home). You will connect that router to your home and provide all of your computers with another set of sub IPs. The easiest is to just turn on dynamic IP address on the router and on your computers. Find your router, type in the password (really, do to set a password and encryption and if you need assistance, just ask.) Connect and everything should work according to plan.

Do work with your Internet provider to get the configuration settings you need. Each one is different and this will saves a lot of heartache. Get that correct and the rest is easy peasy.

Thanks, and after taking a good look at all the wires and where they are going and what each one is doing, I understand a lot more clearly. The thing is though, my dad says we have an aol dial up connection and they do things slightly differently to other providers and he and I are really not sure what it is and whether we need to check if a certain router will work with it. Can anyone explain it to me?

Ollie, so an old dial-up guy myself. This can be a little tricky. I had a similar set up many years ago. So, the first thing is, do you have a dedicated line or shared (meaning, you use it for your telephone). Next, your going to need an auto dialer. The older routers use to have this, I used a PC as the server and when someone wanted to connect, the software would dial up and connect and then the computer could access the Internet.

Does AOL provide a modem with an Auto dialer? If they do, then it is business as usual, if not. Need to ask them what options they know about for this purpose. I am sure they have suggestions. Since I haven't used dial up in over 13 years, I am afraid I don't have a quick answer for you. There are options, I am just not 100% sure what they are as of yet.

So, my first suggestion is, check with AOL, see what they suggest. We can verify here, but they probably know about hardware manufactures than I do. Once you get the dial up situated, the problem becomes less complex.

Let us know and we would be glad to further assist.

I don't even know if it is dial up, I thought dial up is basically what it was called but obviously I am wrong.
So my plan is, buy the asus router, plug it in, plug in the ethernet cable and the telephone cable then hopefully it will work. Will that work? What is it exactly that I need to ask AOL about???

I don't even know if it is dial up, I thought dial up is basically what it was called but obviously I am wrong.
So my plan is, buy the asus router, plug it in, plug in the ethernet cable and the telephone cable then hopefully it will work. Will that work? What is it exactly that I need to ask AOL about???

Just tell them you are going to install a router and you need to know the information for the router to connect to the modem. Some have log ins, others just connect. Like my router, I plug it in, tell it to fetch the IP address and the router is connected to the provider. Once that works, then you can configure the router for your internal computers. They should provide the information you need. If they tell you there is no special configuration needed, then it is as you say, plug in and follow the instructions by the router manufacturer.

You have to tell people about the change?!?!

Over here, all I had to do was pop a DVD in the computer, create an account (for Netgear) and Network and plug everything in. Simple.

You have to tell people about the change?!?!

Over here, all I had to do was pop a DVD in the computer, create an account (for Netgear) and Network and plug everything in. Simple.

If you are just point and shoot (single computer connection) then the modem (in the computer) does it for you (if it is dial up), if it cable, DSL, fiber optics (that is what I have) some may require a log in. Most in the US do not require this, some do. If you do need to log in, the the router has to log in to the internet provider for the internal network. Last time I was in Europe (Germany and Italy) early this year, they treat the internet like gold, so I assume there are a bit more hoops to jump through to get signed in and connected.

Guess at this point, someone from the UK could lend a hand on how AOL handles router connections as I don't know.

Yeah haha, if not my dad is going to go speak to some computer guy for advice
Just trying to make that hooking up the router to your IP. It could be as simple as plugging it in. But without the IP's specs, I would not want to lead you down the wrong path. This could be an issue I know too much and making it more complex with speculation.

I still say your Internet provider can give you the details and that would simplify things. I would do that before asking any computer geeks. Once you have that, no more guessing.

Back