Setting levels...

shadow5606

I'm really new to this so bear w/ me arlight...

I'm recording acoustic guitar with a Rode NT1-A condenser through a Behringer MX602A to an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card. My DAW is SONAR 2.0 XL.

My mixer manual says to set all knobs on my chanel to the 12'oclock position & adjust only the gain till the meter on the mixer is hitting good levels w/o clipping.

Only thing is that I get a fair amount of noise by cranking the gain that high. Then I have to lower the volume/level of the chanel so that it's not clipping on SONAR.

Basically it clips much sooner in SONAR than it does on the mixer meter.

If I have the mixer gain lower & play w/ the volume/level of the chanel I tend to get a slightly better sound but of course a lower overall volume that's no where near clipping on SONAR.

How would any of you set up your mixer & SONAR for this kind of recording? Any general tips for this kind of setup would be greatly appreciated.

I don't care about what the mixers meter is telling me, I adjust to Sonars meters... I set the level-fader to 0 and adjust the gain.

I uselly don't watch to meters much anymore, i just raise it till it sound good. But i watch it to make sure it doesn't click. and gives enough headroom for those sudden clips.

Back