Setting Levels for CD Recording????

newatthis

Question,

I was playing around with Pro Tools, which I am very new to (and this question I am sure is the same with any of the computer editing software) but when I was done, I had what I thought were good levels on all my tracks for a final mix.

I was just doing a quick "play around" mixdown thru my headphones (out of my M-Box) and thought I had things sounding pretty decent considering it was quick and again, I was just messin around.

I then bounced the tracks down onto my desktop computer, to burn them burn onto a CD. (to hand out as a scratch track CD to other musicians)

During this process I converted them to MP3, then onto CD with my burning software.

I must have had my headphones up way louder then I should have while doing the mix process, and the tunes sounded good and strong through them, but after I bounced them down, they still sounded "ok" but not as powerful once they were on the CD?

In protools I adjusted my gains on each channel of all the tracks to peak to about -3db.

I think I had my headphones volume set too high, and that obviously overcompensated for the drop off of the tunes then on the CD. :eek:

My question: Where or how do you know where to put your headphone output volume control, or the monitor amplifier output volume control, so it will closely match the final volume when its burnt onto CD? Or is it just trial and error until you get it right?? Right now it sounds good through the headphones at about 1/3 volume, but on my home stereo or in the car I notice I have to up the volume to about 1/2 volume for the same sounding results. :eek:

Is there a safe Master fader peak setting I should start with so they sound close?? Or how do I better match that up?? Or,,,do I just keep burning CD's till I find a setting that works, and let it there. :o

Thanks and Peace
Aj :cool:

You need a limiter. I would think protools comes with one? But I have to ask Why did you go from wav to mp3 to cd wav? You also need to research mastering, you may not be able to afford real mastering for just a CD to hand out to firends and stuff, but then the tracks still need some kind'a mastering done to them. Whether that is just puting a limiter on your main group outs, or rendering your mix to a stereo wav loading it back into protools or wav lab or etc. and then apply limiting, maybe some verb, maybe a multiband compressor, maybe just some compression, etc.

If nothing else, after bouncing out & NOT converting to MP3 - NORMALIZE the track. Nero'll do it & most editing progs will too. It's not as flash or effective as mastering but will produce maximum vol for the loudest part in the track and all else in relation to that.

Back