Setting a timeline for buying gear. Who's on track?

Chris Fallen

I was just going through what I want to buy and how to go about setting aside money for it, etc, etc.

So I was curious. How many of you are setting aside money to buy that expensive preamp? How about that new set of monitors?

I know what I'm doing. Over the next ten months I'll be the proud owner of a Great River MP-2NV, a Blue Sky 2.1 System One, and Sonar 3.0.

Mm mm. That tastes good.

Anybody else?

Last edited:
I just bought a duel channel compressor, duel channel EQ with two 31 bands and a DSP 128. Only the 128 is used.

When I go to town next month I'll snoop around and get something else. No idea what.

I ussually buy like 1 or 2 things a month, depending on how much they are. I TRY not to buy stuff that is outside of what I could afford in a month... If I decide to, then I ussually put it on my CC, and then subtract the diff. from the next months spending. Probably spend $600-$800 per month. Obviously, the CC does come out for some stuff, but many things (i.e. mics, less expensive outboard gear, accessories) are within that 600-800 range.

Next few purchases are probably ALL going to get the credit card 2 month chunk though, as I'd like to get a real pair of monitors in stead of my jbl home stereo speakers (which aren't terrible), a new acoustic guitar, new digital interface, and some acoustic treatment.

Regardless, and instruments aside, I don't see any need to spend more than 1500 on any one peice of gear given my current setup, so that keeps everything in the 2-months-to-reality range.

Anything costing more than that, and I start questioning how necessery it is for me to accomplish my goals...

badgas said:
I just bought a duel channel compressor, duel channel EQ with two 31 bands and a DSP 128. Only the 128 is used.

When I go to town next month I'll snoop around and get something else. No idea what.

In regards to this, I try to be really careful NOT to get into window-shopping mode!! It's hard, but going there is bad... I would say, that until you have a LOT of money to blow, and I mean like $50,000 plus, you should be really careful about planning exactly how your studio will grow, so that your always maxing out your potential, and not limiting your self based on impulse buys...

Mind you, if you've already got a fully featured studio, then why not ;)

SmattyG said:
In regards to this, I try to be really careful NOT to get into window-shopping mode!! It's hard, but going there is bad... I would say, that until you have a LOT of money to blow, and I mean like $50,000 plus, you should be really careful about planning exactly how your studio will grow, so that your always maxing out your potential, and not limiting your self based on impulse buys...

Mind you, if you've already got a fully featured studio, then why not ;)

Hey Smatty.
Good to meet ya.
I've been using a computer for about three years to record and got tired of the lockups and loosing my stuff due to failed hard drives.
Its been in the past three months I've switched to all hardware.

Money is the least of my problems. I'm set pretty well. But, I have no intention of blowing 50K on gear.
I'll never sell anything I record, nor will anyone make me an offer.
I'm doing this so my daughters and grandkids can have something besides my $s when I kick the bucket.
That's one reason, the other is its fun.

I have eight guitars, five amps, three digital recording machines, a boat load of software, ect.
No, I'll not spend 50K, I'll probably stop around 42K. :)

Thanks for your concern and thoughts.

badgas said:
Hey Smatty.
Good to meet ya.....

Money is the least of my problems. I'm set pretty well. But, I have no intention of blowing 50K on gear.
I'll never sell anything I record, nor will anyone make me an offer.
I'm doing this so my daughters and grandkids can have something besides my $s when I kick the bucket.
That's one reason, the other is its fun.

Thanks for your concern and thoughts.

Hey, nice to meet you to :) I agree. If that is your situation, then I think that's a fine way to do it! Esspecially if having fun is one of your objectives (it's one of my big ones to), then it's important to have fun buying your gear!!

I have some new gear acquistions that I budgeted for with the new studio construction.
Here's my list:

6 API 312 mic-pre's
2 API 550 eq's
Dual channel Great River
2 Neve 33114 mic pre's
2 Apogee Rosetta 800 96K converters
Canare cables
Neutrix Connectors

Here's what I've gotten so far:
4 API 312 mic pre's
1 API 550 EQ.

The rest will be bought probably by years end.
Doesn't make much sense to get some of it before the load in is ready.

Its a never ending pit!LOL..
Just finised paying for a Vipre and a Great River..so Im gonna take a financial breather!
Next for me is a computer and the assosiated crap to go with..
Then maybe OSA or API pres ala lunchbox
Then some good Compression {Ive got sh*t now}

It won't stop:D

Don

It's really funny how well laid plans end up getting squashed the day after ya make them.

Yesterday I said "When I go to town next month,,,"
Well, I went to day. Had to take my mom over to Olympia so she could have her eyes looked at, annual checkup. So, while she was in there, I dartred over to the music shop, two blocks away and bought a five band Parametric EQ and a rack to put all this crap on. That's all I had time to pick up before I thought I'd better hurry back to the pick up mutha dearest.
Cripes, the doc musta known I was over there cuz I coulda checked out some acoustic guitars and fiddled with some new monitors they had on display with the time I had to wait.

I wonder what kind of surprise awaits me next month when I go to get my monthly load of provisions?

Back