Set Up For 4-6 Mics & Headphones

Rich b

Hi there, I'm setting up a radio station type studio to record discussions and to do simulations and I would really like some advice regarding set up / gear.

I've looked into it and so far my only solution would be using microphone and headphone amplifiers. I'd need 4-6 mics and headphones for each person. The mics would go to a mixer where I would also control the music /jingles- and from there record into either a laptop or 8 track workstation.
My main concern is that I'd need a minimum of two headphone amps and probably two mic amps and I'm worried that this could cause some kind of interference / buzzing which would later be heard on the recording.

Anyway-here's a breakdown of the scenario:
let's imagine 6 people round a table. Each has a mic and cans. All that runs to the mixing desk-record from there.
What would be the best set up?

Thanks a lot for any help.
Much appreciated!

I'd check ebay for a decent cheap headphone amp: The OZ Audio HR-4. I've seen then for as low as 40 bucks. 4 channels and works great. It won't generate noise or anything. Do you already have a mixer? What gear do you have and we can figure out the best way to connect it and see what else you'd need.

Hi there, thanks for your help.
Yes I've found both microphone and headphone amps on ebay around the price you've mentioned but I was also worried because I'd probably have to connect two in the case I need 6 sets.
I did a recording before but was only using two mics. I have a eurorack mx 602A which I used for the 2 mics plus the music & jingles (only has 2 mic input) and then from here I recorded into a roland workstation. I had control over the seperate mic levels and other inputs. Now I need the option of using 4-6 mics and for each mic to have a set of headphones.
Instead of recording into the workstation I would like to record straight into a laptop (preferably using soundforge).
I hope this isn't too confusing.
I can't remember how the amps connect- are they connected from exisiting headphone outputs on the mixer?
Anyway, I really appreciate your help!
Perhaps I'll try and draw you a diagram..
Cheers!

You could do that or you could run another pair of outs from you interface and make separate mixes. But the OZ headamp has inputs outs too for linking to other headphone amps.

I'm curious...

If they're all sitting around the same table talking, why do they all need to be wearing headphones? :confused:

I'm curious...

If they're all sitting around the same table talking, why do they all need to be wearing headphones? :confused:

Good point. Unless they need to listen to playback audio or a phone call type of thing there is no real reason for headphones for everyone.

Back