Set-up Compressor on aux

tadmaz

I have a Samson Mixpad 9 and a Presonus Bluemax Compressor. As far as I can tell, my mixer does not have "inserts," so I am forced to use aux send and returns? So, what would the cabling be for a "compressor on aux" setup? My compressor has a side-chain port, but that's for inserts right? Ok, I'll have two mono 1/4" going from the inputs on the compressor to the aux sends on the mixer. Now on the mixer, there are 2 ports for aux sends, are each of those stereo? And my compressor has dual mono inputs and outputs. I'm utterly confused. I am just trying to figure out what cable goes where, will one end of the cable be one-stereo connector, etc.

Here's a link to a pic of my mixer:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/MIXPAD9.JPG

tadmaz said:
I have a Samson Mixpad 9 and a Presonus Bluemax Compressor. As far as I can tell, my mixer does not have "inserts," so I am forced to use aux send and returns? So, what would the cabling be for a "compressor on aux" setup? My compressor has a side-chain port, but that's for inserts right? Ok, I'll have two mono 1/4" going from the inputs on the compressor to the aux sends on the mixer. Now on the mixer, there are 2 ports for aux sends, are each of those stereo? And my compressor has dual mono inputs and outputs. I'm utterly confused. I am just trying to figure out what cable goes where, will one end of the cable be one-stereo connector, etc.

Here's a link to a pic of my mixer:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/MIXPAD9.JPG
I'm not familiar with your mixer but yep just run the aux1 send from the mixer to one input on the compressor. This is a mono send (as far as I can tell). Run one output from the compressor back to the aux ret 1/2 on the mixer.

Now just dial up the amount to send (pre fader) on each mixer channel. If you want to go post fader, use the aux 2 send and the aux ret 3/4

Yes ... I would almost be certain they are mono. I wouldn't use a compressor on an AUX send/return, as this just blends the aux channel signal with the original signal. You could use the compressor on the aux sends of two of the mixers channels. Say aux send 1 for one channel and aux send 2 for another channel. Then the outputs of the compressor will go to the inputs on your soundcard.

Back