Serious Question

guitarfreak12

This question is for the serious pros

I have decided that in five years I would have a unique chance to change my career. I have decided to make this wonderful art my career. I am decent when it comes to tracking and mixing, but I am buckling down, going to go to a recording school, saving money, making a serious business plan, reading books blah blah blah. My question is this, should I buy a mixer with direct outs like a mixwizard, or bigger and stay with a pc, and eventually move to a more pro setup. Or just go ahead and save longer, get a digi setup, or at least something firewire. Like the onyx. My thought right now is that I need to know what I need to be saving for. This area I love in is perfect for a studio, there's only one, and it's only pretty good. Right now I have fallen in love with Adobe 2.0, I love it it's ease of use and I can move fast in it. Should I consider moving to a different platform, I invested in Reason last fall too. So I don't need adobe for the midi. The only reason I can see that adobe would cause a problem for my business is that people shopping around are used to seeing words like pro tools, or cubase, not ADOBE!!!!! YAY.

if your just getting into this then it really does not matter. My recommendation would be to get a mixer with direct outs, and m-audio interface so you can run PT and anything else you want. Learning the software is only a small part of being an engineer so you want as much flexibility as possible to see all the possible angles and use as many features as you can. Once the big picture starts coming into focus, and you have a good grip on signal paths, what does what, you will see that all DAW programs are very similar and once you are good with one, transitioning to anything else is pretty straight forward

I would reccomend not buying anything right now if you are abaout to head off to recording school. You will have access to stuff there that may change your mind about what direction you want to head.

well, I've been recording for about 5 years, I have alot of good equipment already. Plus I need to get a new mixer very soon, the one I have isn't good anymore, and I'll need it before school. So I guess I'll just get a mixwizard, I already have a delta 1010lt, I'll get another one.

xstatic is right. once you go to school, baseline consumer equipment might not do it for you. And if you are going to prepare a solid business plan, you'll be able to plan for more professional equipment when you budget. Plus recording school can't be cheap...

my thought is why buy anything? If you are at recording school like Full Sale, they have gear. If you graduate,you should get a job in a a studio that also has gear.Wait till you have a numbers of years under your belt engineering with sucess before investing in equipment that presently you do not need.

thanks for the input, it is well taken. I do need a mixer for more than recording until I go to school, I do live stuff on the road too. I don't plan to go for at least a year or two. In the mean time, I need a good mixer, one that I can have forever, a small format 8-12 mono mixer is what I need, cause I sure ain't gonna sit tight until school. I understand what you mean about waiting to see if my wants and needs change after school, that is a very good point. Thanks again guys.

Ah! I understand a bit better now. Well, I do a lot of live gigs. I dont use a mixer at all. My live rig consists of alessis hd24 in mobile rack with 3 octopre's and some compressors,in addition a 24 channel splitter snake.It would be nice to have a mixer but its one more thing to haul around and I have been very happy with results without. It kind of like, we know how to mic up a drum kit,or gtr cab so sometimes I think do I really need to monitor? Some of the clubs I have recorded in the band is so loud that I dont think I could even hear with headphones through mixer.

Back