serious help needed for HD24/comp setup

Calwood

I've had my HD24 for over a year now. I use it with an analog 8 buss 32 channel board and have been happy with what i'm doing. However,.. editing on the HD24 isn't very efficient so i want to update to a computer based editing system.

My budget,..$4,000

My goal,..to be able to,.. visually cut and paste audio trks,..edit waveforms,..etc,..also to,..still use my HD24,...my analog board and outboard gear in the recording process as well as mixing.
(What I'm trying to say here is that I dont want my current gear to become obsolete.)

I have everything else,..nice monitors,..pres,..comps,..gates,..effects,..etc.
I just want to start editing my audio on the computer with some real good software.

My problem,...I dont know what to get. The only thing I'm sure I need is a monitor. The computer i'm using is the family PC and cannot be used for my studio.
Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give me to help me get this going. I hope i explained this right.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Not to be long-winded but basically here is what I want to do.

Record all my tracks onto my HD 24,..using my board to monitor.

When recording is finished transfer all tracks to the comp the best way that fits in my budget.

Edit and mix on the puter.

Record Cd on my Masterlink.

I hope that gives a clearer picture of what I'm trying to accomplish.

thanks again,...
Calwood

You can use the Alesis Fireport $200.00 to get the file into your DAW. I use Samplitude for mixing. Here's what I would get -

Alesis Fireport $200.00
Tascam US-2400 $1500.00 ($1200.00 B-stock)
UAD Studio Pak $900.00
New PC for studio $1200.00

Total $3800.00

I use a MOTU 2408 between a computer and an HD24 into an analog console. I can edit and use plug in processors and hardware stuff side by side in real time. VERY powerful setup.

I have an RME card. The HDSP 9652, I think it is, will allow 24 track ADAT transfers in real time. You might want the Fireport for faster transfers, but I don't mind the initial transfer in realtime since I can start working on the mix.

Thanks for the reply's. I've been giving this some thought,..but havent made a purchase yet.

Track rat,..if ya see this post again,..could I ask a question? Basically what goes where in that setup?
I've already got the computer going(not purchased yet but getting close) with 1GB of RAM and a 3.2 Ghz processor. Next I have to get an interface. I think i've decided on a Motu MKII from your recommendation as well as other postings I've read about it.
I'm unsure of how this works though,..probably because I'm not exactly sure what an "interface" does.
Could you give me some info?

Thanks a ton,..

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

I use a 24 track HD recorder with the RME 9652 as well. I like the RME much better than the MOTU 2408 mk2 (which I had, but switched to the RME. The Motu offers more features, but the RME seems to be more Universally compatible and less prone to conflicts. I have the RME connected with 24 channels of lightpipe in and out to my HD recorder. I don't actually even track to my HD recorder. I use it as a converter. The HD recorders allow me to send the digital lightpipe (24 channels of audio) into my computer (I use Cubase). At the same time it sends all 24 channels of analog output to the console so that signals can be monitored without ever having to even think about latency. During mixdown you just switch the inputs to digital and send can send 24 channels of audio out the digital outs, into the HD recorder, which I set to input monitoring and it converts them to analog and sends them to the console. This way i can use all of my outboard as well as any plugins that i want. Personally, I don't see the need for the Tascam 24 channel fader surface unless you plan on not using your console and outboard for mixdown. My setup sounds very similar to Track rats, except that I prefer the RME interface (even though it does offer fewer I/O options). I would reccomend that you get the Alesis Fireport for transfers to the computer though if you still want to record directly on your HD24. Its not a time thing for me, but stability. When you record 24 tracks simultaneously you are running a bigger risk of getting clicks or pops due to buffer settings, windows interrupts, disk speeds etc... The fireport allows for a buffered data transfer with error checking so is more stable in that aspect.

My set is as follows. The HD24 analog outputs are wired directly to the inputs of a Tascam M-3500 24 channel console. The inputs to the HD24 are in a patch bay so any source can be patched to any input as are the group outputs of the console and all the outputs of my outboard stand alone mic preamps. The Optical ins and outs (24 channels of ADAT in 3 banks of 8) are patched to the MOTU 2408. All transport functions of the HD24 are controlled with a BRC. I can track to the HD24 (which is what I do mostly) or use it like a sound card and track directly to the computer. Lets say I track a band to the HD24, when I'm ready to edit, I set up a project in my software (in my case, Cakewalk9 though just about ANY software multitracker will work) and record to the computer in real time from the HD24. It's real time but DAMN, that means I have to actually listen to what I've tracked on the way in :D . I've NEVER had an error with transfer (24 tracks of 24 bit/44.1). Once in, I make any edits I deem nessassary. I play back from the computer, through the MOTU to the HD24 like a big sound card so the the tracks still appear on the console as individual tracks. At mix time, I can use directX plugs in real time along side hardware compressors/reverbs/etc side by side.

Thank you very much for the information. It made this very clear and this is exactly what I want to do.

Its people like you Track and xstatic and everyone that has replied to this post that keep me coming back.

I cant wait to get this setup up and running.

Much,..MUCH appreciated.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Back