Sequencing SW That's: Sync Slave, VST Host

sjjohnston

The subject says it. What I'm looking for is software that will play a MIDI file as:

- A sync slave, that is, chasing a signal being fed to it from outside. I can give it either MTC or SSP. I want it to really chase sync: that is, jump to the position it's instructed to in mid-song, if that's what the in-coming time code says to do. In other words: not just start at the beginning and follow tempo.

- A VST host. Ideally, I'd like it to be capable of playing multiple VST instruments, though it could be useful if it's limited to one.

I don't need it to do any sequencing, or editing or recording (either MIDI or audio). I already have software to do that. I just need it to play the MIDI files I've created elsewhere. Given the limited use I want to make of it, I'd prefer that it be cheap, or even free.

Anvil Studio would seem (by the description of its feature set, at least if you add the $19 "Pro Mix" accessory) to fit the bill, but I can't get it to chase sync. Specifically, it will chase (its clock and cursor move in sync with the incoming timecode), but it doesn't actually output any MIDI events when it's doing that (which it does, from the same file and hookup, when it's not being a slave). I've asked their e-mail support about this, so conceivably they'll come back with something that works.

sjjohnston said:
but it doesn't seem to chase sync.
My version does. There have been many revisions lately as they hurdle toward their 1.0 version which will be a commercial release.

As far as your requirements, free VST hosts the 'chase sync' are not exactly thick on the ground.

Try the Tracktion demo. Find it here.

Further info, for anyone who's paying attention to this thread:

- nTrack, at $49, seems to be the cheapest possibility I've found so far. From the description on the website, it sounds like it chases sync and hosts VST instruments. I guess the demo version is free.

- Anvil Studio almost works. It seems to understand MTC, but doesn't want to play notes while chasing it for some reason. I can get it to chase SPP, so long as I start at the beginning of the song (i.e. it functions the way a slave would that only chases MIDI clock or "dumb" FSK). I've sent e-mail to their support people asking how to make it chase MTC, or chase SPP from mid-song.

sjjohnston said:
Further info, for anyone who's paying attention to this thread:
I'm paying attention, but you don't seem to be saying anything worthwhile. The n-track demo version IS free --- so is the Tracktion demo. Why haven't you downloaded them yet?

I've offered two good suggestions. You poo-poo'd the first and ignored the second.

Is there a point you're trying to make or are you just trying to be difficult?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

ssscientist said:
I've offered two good suggestions. You poo-poo'd the first and ignored the second.
Assuming the first was Reaper, it does not chase sync at all. After I failed to figure out how to make it chase sync (there being nothing in the documentation or any menu or control that mentioned the topic), I went to their forum, where a recent post says it does not chase sync. Specifically (6/13/06): "there is no way to place REAPER into 'slave' mode, and so there is no way to sync two instances of REAPER. You can generate MIDI clock and MIDI Timecode from REAPER, but neither are well developed at the moment."

As for demo versions, there are demo versions of most of the "big" sequencing programs. The biggest problem with demos is the ways they're disabled so as to make them demos. Sometimes these aren't really fully described, and you don't know exactly what they are until you install.

In some cases (Ableton Live, at least with the "Lite" version they give out with some products) the things that are disabled are specifically what I'm looking for (in Live, it includes MIDI sync and using more than one VST). In the case of Tracktion, the Mackie website says "The Tracktion 2 demo contains regular bursts of noise. Not 'noisy' noise, but just enough to make you want to buy the full version in stores." They don't specifically say that happens when all you're doing is playing a MIDI file, but it's still daunting.

There are other problems with just installing bunches of demos. There is a rigamarole to getting one installed; it's always possible one will mess with a driver, a dll or the registry in a way that will affect other software; you may wind up on a new spam mailing list; you have to go through the process of figuring out how the thing works, just to use it for 10 days, etc.

Is there a point you're trying to make or are you just trying to be difficult?
Not a major point, though often when someone raises a question, others look at the thread either because they have the same question, or a similar question, or just to tuck the answer away in their mind somewhere. Sometimes this happens well in the future, in the case of the forum user who actually knows how to use the search function.

I've generally thought it a good thing, once you've raised a question, to make a little effort not just to abandon it in mid-thread. In this case, I thought it a good idea to note (i) the nTrack solution, since it wasn't mentioned in the thread and (in my opinion) might be preferable to the Tracktion demo and (ii) the more complete information about Anvil Studio (which may well work in setups other than mine), particularly since I'd mentioned Anvil Studio already.

you have to go through the process of figuring out how the thing works, just to use it for 10 days, etc.
You are against the whole process of software companies offering demo versions? That's quite foolish and very short sighted. I love demo versions, and even if they do create some ripples in my system I backup regularly and don't mind deleting spam.

Demo versions are the only way to get a real feeling for what the software can do. They let you get into the workflow of the sequencer or softsynth/sampler and how it will interact with your existing components, both on a system level and a productivity level. If a company doen't offer a demo version of a piece of software there's often a good reason for that, and I just cross that product off of my list.

I'm sorry that you're so picky and dissatisfied. Maybe if you had started this thread by explaining what you wanted to achieve we would have got off on a better foot. But coming in having already decided that this is what you need and it shall not be otherwise is bad policy because there may be some solution that could be suggested here that had not occured to you.

ssscientist said:
You are against the whole process of software companies offering demo versions?
No, actually the demo thing is really very useful, when used as the software companies intend. That is: if I'm probably going to buy a big recording/sequencing program, but I'm not sure which one, it's helpful to try out a few of them before paying the money. Even if, during the try-out period, the demo version has something that makes it not all that useful, I can make a more informed judgment about whether it will be useful, once I've paid for it.

Where the demo thing isn't (always) so helpful is when you're trying to use the demo version as your product (i.e. trying to get a free, useful product), rather than as a teaser for something you want to buy. That, of course, is really how it's supposed to be. Anyway, it's how the people who make the demo version of the software intend it to be. It also makes me shy away from the demo route, though if a demo works, I guess I wouldn't say "no."

Maybe if you had started this thread by explaining what you wanted to achieve
I thought I was kind of specific. I want something that will play a MIDI file and also (i) chase sync (either MTC or SPP) and (ii) use VST plug-ins (preferably multiple instruments, but possibly only one).

If it matters, the reason is because I already have software that creates a MIDI file that plays the way I want (using VST plug-ins), but it won't chase sync. I want to play the file and have it sync with MTC or SPP coming into the computer from outside. I don't need to do any sequencing, or editing or recording.

Since the original post, I've had a little back-and-forth with the Anvil Studio guy about why it's not working for me. If he solves the problem, that's what I'll use. If not (or if I don't want to wait), I'll try the demo or paid version of nTrack. I hadn't considered nTrack (hadn't looked at their website) when I made the original post. At $49, it's not unreasonable (and, at free, the demo version is manifestly a good deal, if it does what I want). At $149, Tracktion is probably a good value for all the stuff it does, but I don't know that it's a great value if you're just going to use it to play back a MIDI file.

... we would have got off on a better foot.
I don't think anyone was on the wrong foot, or dissatisfied, or even difficult, until you reacted to my post of some additional information regarding my own question with the observation that I "don't seem to be saying anything worthwhile," etc. Which might even be true (at least not worthwhile to anyone but me), but strikes me as an observation that is not intended (or likely) to put people on a good foot, and may even be "difficult."

sjjohnston said:
I thought I was kind of specific.
Yeah.

You were specific in what you wanted, not why you wanted it or what your ultimate goal was.

THAT'S what was (and still is) missing...

There are at least two dozen ways to skin the same midi cat. To solve the problem. To solve YOUR problem.

Before you post another reply, please consider letting us have a peek into your motivation for wanting something like this, or at least explain further what you want to acheive.

Back