Sequencing songs on an album

Chuckschwandt

What are some key points in deciding how one should sequence
the song order on an album project. What songs should be first, second, third, etc.

Thank you :)

to me, it all depends on what kind of effect you want the album to have on the listener.

the first song should be powerful and suck the listener in, and the last song should leave the listener wanting more, but other than that you have to deciede what direction to go in. if you want lots of contrasts, alternate loud fast songs with quiter songs and vice versa. or use moods happy, sad, angry, whatever.
or if you want to tell a story or use a theme, arrange the songs so that the sadder, angrier songs are near the beginning, and then as the album progresses the more happier songs emerge...and everyone lives happily ever after....

just keep the listener interested

Hi XerXes,

Thanks for your thoughts; they are some I havn't heard.
Since I'm about to send my project to a mastering
lab, I want to make the best of having my songs in
an effective sequence. - I have heard dynamic range
from song to song is a good approach too; like
fast to slow, then fast again.

Thanks again,
Chuck :)

Chuckschwandt said:
I have heard dynamic range
from song to song is a good approach too; like
fast to slow, then fast again.

I never really thought about it like that, but it really is true! Fast and slow have become synonymous with dynamics in pop music. After all, how many soft fast songs and slow loud ones do you hear? (Especially soft fast ones...). The lexicon continues to evolve...

There are two principles that a lot of people follow if they haven't got anything better in mind: start and finish with something fast/upbeat/powerful. Tend to alternate fast and slow stuff.

I'm a head and ideas guy too, so I like my stuff to have a theme and work itself stepwise through a kind of plot structure - it isn't often apparent to the listener, but that structure is there in the way the album unfolds, and it operates on listeners whether they know it or not.

But I gotta come back to the number one rule of thumb on this board: if it sounds good, go with it. If it doesn't, change it.

Hi dobro,

It seems the fast start and ending, with up
and down through-out the project is a key point.
I'm catching on here.....

Thank you,
Chuck:)

i've also heard some amazing exceptions to the 'alternating' method...like on the jane's addiction album 'ritual de la habitual' the first four or five songs are all fast, shorter and upbeat, and then the whole album flips and the last four songs are really long, slower epic songs. i've always admired that cd for that.

so like dobro said, if it sounds good go with it

I like that last way, too. I think It comes from the old cassette/LP thing with side 1 and side 2.. I like the poppy stuff on 1 and the moody stuff on 2.

xoox

Interesting topic

For awhile the "in" thing was to do a concept approach, kind of like taking the listener on a journey. I don't find that occurring that much anymore. After a few listens, you became familiar with the sequence of songs on an album. One song led to the next and hearing them out of sequence kind of jilted the emotion of the whole experience. Of course, this was back when albums were played on turntables and the idea of skipping songs, or rearranging the order was kind of foreign. Now with players that can randomly play the songs I guess it's foreign for younger listeners to get a feel for the way an album is sequenced. I sure miss being taken on that musical journey though. Today, there doesn't seem to be as much thought put into "does this song really FEEL right after that one..."
Chuckschwandt, you know your songs; Think about how does this song feel before/after that one. Also, listen to some of your favorite albums and pay attention to their sequencing. You'll know when something feels out of place. If you've done this on a PC or you have a CD player that you can program and play just the intros of the songs, try different arrangements and see which feels best to you.

Back