Sequencing Software - advice!?

TMHill

Hi all

I need a software sequencer, and have been using Cubase, but the new version is too powerful for my PC. I'm not looking to change my PC yet, and so want to change the software. (It used to crash a lot, anyway...!)

I have been looking at Vegas, but am not sure whether it can be used purely as sequencing software.

I have Sibelius to cope with my notational/MIDI needs, and Sound Forge to cope with recording and line editing, so I need something specifically for the mixing stage: However, I don't need to be able to multitrack record live instrumentalists. I'll only ever be inserting a track at a time. (Number of tracks could get plentiful, though)

I also thought I could use Acid for this, but am aware that I should buy something specifically to address my needs - not something which is capable of doing a million things I'll never want!

Incidentally - I've used, and hate, ProTools.

What should I be looking at?

Many thanks in advance

Tom

In a bid to solve this myself, I have been considering the following packages:

Vegas
Sonar 3 Producer
Reason
MOTU

and am now leaning towards S3 prod.

Does anybody have an opinion? What else should I be looking at? My price range probably caps out at about $700, but I can get S3 prod for $350. (I am not interested in saving $300 if it means not having as good software)

Cheers
Tom

When you say sequencer, you mean MIDI, right? Then you can drop Vegas from the list. Acid would be more suited to that kind of application.

not something which is capable of doing a million things I'll never want

I use sonar 3 producer and i use it for everything pretty much. It is packed with as many features as Cubase and may cause the same strain on your systema as cubase. Probably overkill for your needs. What about the studio edition?

Although i have briefly tried this, but what about samplitude?

To be completely honest i'm not sure what you want this new software to do. aRe you looking for software that you can imput audio tracks to mix and organize them? if so, adobe audition would probably work fine for less dough or samplidtude.

Presently using Sonar 1.3.1, but

I just got my USB Audiophile sound card to kinda work with Sonar 1.3.1 atop a Dell Laptop running Win98se (I have MIDI tracks that will playback on my Kurzweil synth, and the audio is to be recorded back into Sonar), and my Sonar keeps crashing after every 1½ takes.

Needless to say, I'm pretty bummed with performance. If you go to Cubase or Sonar 3, you must use Windows XP, and if you are going to go that route, then by all means make sure you buy XP Pro, not XP Family. The plus side of spending all the money for PC upgrades, though, is that you get to use ASIO drivers, or at the very least the WDM drivers.

I'm presently considering using my credit card to get a new machine and software because of all the instability I am now encountering. I have been a PC guy for 20 years, and have had countless discussions and fun arguments with people who use MACs, but I gotta tell you... I'm seriously thinking of jumping ship this time around just to have a stable music machine. Macs crash too, but not nearly as often, I'm beginning to believe.

I've just read too much from various sources, that when it comes to music (and it used to be graphics programs, too, though probably not true anymore), that the MAC system is superior for music.

I have no intention of dumping my PC when it comes to business and personal productivity, but am seriously thinking of the MAC (what are they up to now, G-5?), and using a different MIDI/Audio program.

Please come back and write after you do some more research, or upgrade... one way or another and tell of your experience(s).

Todd

Hi Todd

I'm just curious as to why you would suggest XP pro over XP home? There was a descussion on this forum a while back addressing this and the conclusion drawn was that XP pro would not offer any advantage over XP home except in the wireless networking department. Assuming you were into controlling one computer with another, this would come in handy but if you didn't (like most of us) therre wouldn't really be much point.

Are we missing something? I use XP home with Sonar 3 and it works fine.

XP Pro vs XP Home

Well,

You may be right that XP Home is fine for this purpose. I tend to be a comprehensive buyer, meaning that I try to see ahead and would rather spend a few extra dollars to avoid frustrations later.

XP Pro has a number of extras built into it that my expert programming friends say are invaluable for more than just networking (not just wireless networking). I might also add that all, not just a couple, of my programming buddies will never put XP on their systems. They stay with NT or 2000 becuase XP, in trying to make the OS idiot proof, has taken away some controls that allow us to tweak performance. Just last week, I was working with a friend who needed a basic utility to work with another application, but it required XP Pro.

But you are probably right, that if you are only concerned for a particular music program (i.e. Sonar 3), then XP Home would suffice. But I cannot help but add, as is typical of me, that if "you" try to save a few dollars by buying the minimum necessary, it almost always comes back to hurt you later.

Mad - I actually mean audio and MIDI, so if Vegas can't play MIDI, then that's definitely a strike - thanks!

Todd - my own impression/experience is that 98se is good until there is a lot on your system. I have rebuilt on w2000pro and it is more stable in every single way. I won't be going to xp for exactly the same reasons you mention below, and more besides. So that helps me rule out Cubase and Sonar for the moment.

I suppose I could replace my mobo, upgrade to a better CPU, and beef up the RAM (I'm stuck on 392) but I'm terrified of doing that! I cannot face having to re-install my entire machine again!

If I did that, it looks to me like Sonar is the best choice. If I don't, then I guess I have to keep looking. Next stop: Samplitude and Adobe Audition!

Loads of thanks for your help guys - I'll post back here so any more thoughts you have, pleeeease keep them coming!

Cheers
Tom

Sonar 3, Keyboard review, and upgrade special this week.

1) I just got done rereading January, 2004 Keyboard Magazine's review of Sonar 3 and the editor gave it the KeyBuy award, and had only great things to say about it. Makes me want to get it. Plus, I already use Sonar so the learning curve will be minimal. He highly suggested getting the Producer edition, which I have to agree with, given the amount of extras, functionality, and not too high extra cost, which brings me to the next point.

2) Cakewalk's website, right now, is offering upgrades to Sonar 3 at very good pricing, AND ordered by July 28, 2004... you get Free shipping and Sonar Power! book for Free, too. For me, Sonar Producer will cost me $249.

Now, if I can land me a good price on a new PC with XP... I think it's time for me to start selling some things on Ebay. <grin>

Back