Sequencers?

SpeedKing9

I understand this is a recording forum, but perhaps some of you may know. I'm in search of a sequencer/sampler, that my drummer would be able to trigger via MIDI and have it play auxiliary guitar parts, vocal parts, drums, etc..

I see many bands utilizing this, but I never get a chance to look at what they're using. What is it exactly that I'm looking for? I'm looking for something that my drummer could trigger, and we would be able to play live to a click, and have certain parts come in at a certain measure and be able to have a bank of songs available with this (mind you, we are using in-ear monitors).

Thanks.

Sounds like you just wan't something basic. You could always grab a copy of Computer Music magazine, which features a free version of Muzys (Sequencer with Audio and MIDI), a nice little sampler, and bunch of soft-synths and effects for free (Well they call them free but the magazine is $15). That could do the trick for you (Of course you still need a MIDI interface for the computer, and some form of trigger, either MIDI drum pads or triggers with converter box). If you require more features or want to move up, there are plenty of mid-to-high-end studio/live software packages available, such as:

Muzys (Full Version)
Fruity Loops (FL Studio)
Live
Traktion
Sonar (PC Only)
Cubase
Nuendo
Reason
Power Tracks
Pro Tools
Magix Music Studio
EnergyXT
Logic (Mac Only)
Digital Performer (Mac Only)
And I could go on and on and on...

You'd have to research each and see if a particular package will give you additional features that you could utilize. All the ones listed above will do what you want in one fashion or another.

Back