Sequencer Question

ubik

How do I trigger my keyboard sequencer from my computer based sequencer??

I have parts programmed into my sequencer that I want to use in conjunction with other modules that I am controlling from my computer. I can access sounds on the keyboard, but cannot seem to trigger or mute sequencer parts.

Also, can I dump the info from the keyboard sequencer into the computer sequencer. That would solve the problem as well...

Need MIDI Help!!

Probably not.

Trigger and mute sequences externally is something that your keyboards internal sequencer needs to support. It probably doesn't.

You probably can SYNC them , though, so that they run in conjuction. When you have done that you probably want to re-record those sequences into the other sequencer so you only have one. Makes things much simpler.

The dumping to the computer question can be done, but it may or may not be a long process (depending on your programs and on-board sequencer). First you want to check if your onboard sequencer can save to floppies and/or if it will write standard midi files or just a proprietary format. If it is standard midi files... copy them to floppy and read'em with your computer. If it is proprietary, is there a utility program that will convert them? (gotta check the web for that). If there is no floppy on your sequencer or it is only proprietary with no utility to convert them, you should be able to play the sequence on your on-board sequencer's midi out and record it to your computer sequencer's midi in. Depending on the computer sequencer this might not be so bad. For example, in Cakewalk, you can record on all midi channels (on one track), so you could record the sequence to one track with all of the midi channels on it. I would bet there is already a CAL routine that seperates midi channels onto different tracks. If your sequencer doesn't do something like that you could record one midi channel at a time.

Good luck and hope this explaination wasn't too confusing.

Back