seperating audio from video

Layla Nahar

Hi - I have an avi file and I'd like to take just the audio from it and use it in a composition. I have OS X 10.3. Does anybody know of a free tool that will do this?
thanks
LN

audacity is genious, free download, take this and set the input to stereo, and it will record anything that would come out of yer computer speakers, so you can just play the video, and it will record in wav. format the audio, an you can set the input loud enough so that the audio is clearly, and loud enough for listening. good tool

a GREAT, less than free, but fairly cheap solution is audio hijack pro.. however with the free trial version, I'm pretty sure that you can record a certain length of audio before it cacks out..so you just go to where you want to sample from and hit record... it's a great OSX program that takes audio from any app. and records it into a number of formats. So you would just set it to "hijack" quicktime or whatever media player your using, and then play the video and hit record on the bits you want to sample. You can try importing to other software and extracting the audio and what not, but honestly it's way quicker to just locate to wher eyou want and hit record, instead of going through all these import export type scenarios.

Hope that helps...

Back