sennheiser MD421-U-5 microphone

eskkes

hello,
i'm looking at one of these microphones for around $150 and just want to know...

1. Is it a good microphone?
2. What is it ideally used for?

thanks in advance to anyone who helps me!

Make sure it's in working condition. If it is, it's a bargain.

Classic mic, used most commonly for drums (toms) and guitar amps. Virtually impossible to hit it with too high an SPL, and sounds great.

They have really crap built-in clips which always break - don't worry about that too much cos they are replacable or you can rig up your own more durable alternative.

Very versatile dynamic microphone, almost impossible to make a bad sound with.

As for the clips problem, there's a good and cheap solution for it:

micclip.jpg

Make sure they fit tight and the mic won't fall off of it.

Ah, your description makes much more sense now. That's actually very clever, Mr Han. Though I expect nothing less, to be honest.

noisedude said:
Ah, your description makes much more sense now. That's actually very clever, Mr Han. Though I expect nothing less, to be honest.

Hey Nik, thanks for the kudos!

I just purchased a MD421 N for about $150, just awaiting it's arrival. What is the difference between the models? this one is a creamy and looks quite old.

boulty said:
I just purchased a MD421 N for about $150, just awaiting it's arrival. What is the difference between the models? this one is a creamy and looks quite old.

The MD421 N has a DIN connector and IMHO this is the MKI version and there are more differences to the newer MKII 421.

Most important is the MKI has a copper coil and the MKII has an aluminium coil.

The MKII sound a tad hotter and brighter, while the MKI sounds a tad smoother, both are great sounding mics

Back