Sennheiser MD21

Henrik

Anyone ever used a Sennheiser MD21? It's supposedly a 60's mic that I just got offered to buy for about $250. I'll of course try it out myself before I buy it, but I'd like to get some input from others as well.

Thanks
/Henrik

Henrick, my understanding is that's the precursor to the 421 series. Soundwise, these mikes are considered "classics" by most pros for their appropriate usage. I use the current 421 for vocals and it sounds excellent particularly when used in conjunction with
a tube mic pre. Someone like Harvey Gerst will know a lot more
than me though!

Sorry, but I've never used an MD21.

I do know that the MD 21 has an omnidirectional polar pattern and with its zinc casting, it can withstand crashes on hard ground. In the '60s and the beginning of the '70s, it was the microphone for TV showmasters, and even today, it is the daily tool of many reporters in Germany.

OK, thanks for this input!
The mic actually belonged to Swedish national radio, so Harvey, you're right about the broadcasting uses. I wonder if it might be of any use in a recording studio of today. I guess I'll just have to try it out. At least I would have a mic that not many others have.

THanks again
/Henrik

Did you buy it?

I just got one of these for free, from an old Swedish radio station that hasn't been on the air since the 80's. Haven't used it very much yet, just tested it to make sure it was working.

It looks great though. :-) And if you've seen the music video "She She She" by The Klerks, you have probably noticed that they are singing in MD21's. (I talked to their singer about this, and he told me that the actually used an Neumann U87 for the recording... the MD21's were in the video just because they look cool!)

Does anyone have more knowledge about this microphone?

Fredrikgroth said:
Did you buy it?

I just got one of these for free, from an old Swedish radio station that hasn't been on the air since the 80's. Haven't used it very much yet, just tested it to make sure it was working.

It looks great though. :-) And if you've seen the music video "She She She" by The Klerks, you have probably noticed that they are singing in MD21's. (I talked to their singer about this, and he told me that the actually used an Neumann U87 for the recording... the MD21's were in the video just because they look cool!)

Does anyone have more knowledge about this microphone?

No, I didn't buy it. All of a sudden the guy who wanted to sell them stopped emailing. Maybe he went bankrupt or something.

I haven't seen the The Klerks video. I happen to know Peter and particularly Jon of The Klerks though. You know them too? (Maybe you and I know each other).

The MD441 is a fantastic mic, my current allround favourite.

Cheers
/Henrik

I think the MD21 is still in production, so you can go to Sennheiser's website and gather information about it, if you're still interested. That mic is not really rare, you see it on ebay a lot, at least in Germany. As Harvey said it's omni, and it is mainly designed for reproters so as to pick up some of the live atmosphere while you're interviewing some guy at a conference for instance. You hardly see it in use anymore, though, at least on TV. Probably because it looks to old fashioned.

Back