Sennheiser e614

well one thing i know is that it is an electret condenser which is usually found on lower quality mics like those little sony camcorder mics. i don't know if it is a black and white better or worse than an externally polarized microphone but thought you might want to know. i have also been curious about these mics. a pair of sennheiser OHs for the price of NT5s - interesting.

arpodthegreat said:
well one thing i know is that it is an electret condenser which is usually found on lower quality mics like those little sony camcorder mics.

There is nothing low quality about senns electrets. Also look for the E664, but they are harder to find as they have just been discontinued.

Electret technology used to be used only on some wicked cheap (and bad) mics, but there was really nothing wrong with the technology. In the last few years, Audio-Technica, in particular, have sold electret mics that work fine. By all accounts, electret mics lose their static charge over a period of some years. There'll probably some retro-fitter in the year 2065, who'll make his living charging the diaphragms of old AT4033's., to get vintage sound.-Richie

Back