Sending drum tracks from daw, to my tape machine (tascam 388)

hithere1

Hey guys I am working on an album and the drums will be tracked in a studio.

I want to take the drum trucks home, open them on my Daw and overdub on my tascam 388. I will be dumping 8 tracks into my computer from the tape machine to the daw.

To keep them in sync, I thought maybe I could do something like mic my monitor, play the drum take through to a mono track, and then play to that on the machine.

Is there a more elegant way to do that?

also, to avoid taking up a track with a click, could I just use a headphone splitter between a metronome and the headphone input?

Why do you want to use the Tascam at all? In one sentence you are saying you want to open the tracks in your DAW and overdub them to the Tascam, in the next sentence you say you want to take the tracks from the machine (tascam?) to the DAW - which is it?

heres what I am trying to do

This is what I am trying to do.

1. Track album drums in the studio (take those drum files home to my daw)

2. Do overdubs at home on tascam tape machine to the studio drums (need to be synced somehow).

3. throw my 8 tracks of overdubs back onto my computer so I can then use them on my album.

at the most basic I know I could mic a speaker of my studio recorded drums playing through my daw at home, to just get a rough mono track into my tape machine, so I can track the rest of my 7 tracks to the drums

What you are asking is all possible...assuming you are able to sync the deck and the DAW, which requires some sort of sync box to go in-between them.

Are you able to and do you have any synchronization setup?

If you have no sync box, then it's not possible to sync them together...but, there are other ways......... :)

I will move this thread to the Analog forum , since there are quite a few guys there who sync their decks and DAWs...I being one of them....and then provide us with more info about your setup so we can give you options.

Back