Sending a reverb to the headphone without recording it?

warlock110

I normally record my vocal dry, but I've heard that it's probably a little better to send a small reverb to the headphone without recording it (it was explain that it'll make the singer keep track of keys easier).

One tiny problem, I don't know how to do that :).

I'm pretty sure that in cubase you should be able to setup a buss or headphone mix where you actually have a track with some reverb on it that goes out to your cans and never gets recorded. I don't use cubase, so I am not sure on the specifics for that program, but you should be able to get it without too much messing around (hopefully).

I normally record my vocal dry, but I've heard that it's probably a little better to send a small reverb to the headphone without recording it (it was explain that it'll make the singer keep track of keys easier).

One tiny problem, I don't know how to do that :).

Adding reverb to the headphone mix provides comfort to the singer, but probably not much else. My reading suggests that reverb can introduce pitching problems for the singer. They might be able to keep track of keys, but it doesn't necessarily help their pitch. My default position is not to supply reverb unless specifically asked. If they do ask, I have a number of ways of doing it, one being to take a line from their mike and send it to an outboard unit, which I feed into an auxilliary channel of their headphone amp.

Of course, one even easier and much more low-tech method is to simply take one of the headphone cups off. That may cause bleed into microphones or it might make it hard for the singer to hear the mix well, but they get a sense of ambience without any gear.

I've used a "small room" reverb setting to trick the ears to think you're not actually wearing headphones.

Back