send midi data to daw

I want to send a small amount of midi pattern into Cubase from a J6 Roland chord synth. Do I need midi thru activated in settings for that?
How exactly do I do that?

No - connect the keyboard to the interface you have, and noodling on the keys should produce activity in cubase, assumin the input you are using is active in the inspector and your Roland has the MIDI output - BUT - I'm not sure if some internal features are actually output. I had an older one that had an arpegiator and that did NOT come out of the output. If pressing the keys works in cubase and your pattern does not, then the roland is not sending it.

I sent midi data over to Cubase....but the J6 has some add on fx in the way of pattern adjustments and I noticed that the data
isn't an exact match ...I mean if you just try different vst sounds you don't get an exact twin of the sound...odd.....I think the only way to record it is on an audio track ..

This is often the case - it just sends note data so any tweaks you make are not reflected in what Cubase receives. This isn't new - Yamaha often had loads of great onboard gizmos but it just sent the MIDI - even the demo tunes, which were often very good didn't go down the MIDI line!

Back