Selling tunes

Shana

Do any of you sell your tunes and if so how much do you charge. I was thinking $150 to USE my tune and $300 to OWN it. Am I selling myself short? My tunes are good and I have some songwriters who are interested.
Thanx
Shana

Hmmm.

I wouldn't sell my songs if I were you. If someone wants to record your song they will have it published and you get the royalties.

Little Richard sold his songs for $50,000. Let's see I think he lost several million dollars.

I think the rule of thumb is never to sell your songs.

Of course the rule of thumb can be broken if the price is right. THen again if someone is offering that kind of money the song is worth more I bet.

Hey thanx for responding. The guy who wants my songs, he is a songwriter that has been desperate to cut an album with his material for years. He writes really well but noone has been willing to touch his stuff because the songs are rather long and wordy.. With a little bit of editing I made made some great tunes, if i do say so myself and he agreed to 300$ a song. I dont think he'll bring in major money , he's thinkin 3 thousand cds,, anyways , i figured this was the way to go,, i hope i made the right choice..
Thanx again
Shana

Yep.

I've heard your stuff in the MP3 clinic. Very good.

If your editing his songs for 300 bucks that's OK. I hope your not
giving over the copywright to any of your songs.

I personally think that if you shortened your songs and worked on the recording a little more you could make a ton of money.
You have some orginal sounding material. You have the knack for this stuff already. Later.

DO NOT "SELL" YOUR SONGS TO ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!
Copyright them, Publish them, get a lawyer to write a contract for the limited use by this person. It sounds like someone is trying to take advantage of you. A legitimate publisher would never buy songs like this. You may feel that you can always write more songs, but you may never write another great song - these are few and far between. Unfortunately, the music business is filled with amoral slime who would rip off their own mothers to make a buck. Don't be shark bait - protect your songs!

Bob

If a "songwriter" wants to buy your songs - I think you may be getting a bad deal. I could understand if a singer/producer wanted to buy songs - but if songwriters want to buy songs it means they don't have confidence in their own material - so they want to take credit for your talent. However, if you think these songwriters have "connections" or business options that you don't, maybe you can use them to your advantage.

Perhaps you could "sell" part of your song. By this I mean he gives you $300 and you make him a co-writer (25% or 50%). If you truly believe this songwriter can get your songs heard and even sell some copies of recordings - it may be worth giving up part of your "copywrite". And if this person really believes in your material he should be happy to be part of it. Obviously the best thing to do is "sell" the use of your songs, while maintaining the copywrite.

I've sold a few songs (for very little money). I'm pretty sure the people who bought them didn't get rich (I know I never hear them on the radio). But I made certain business decisions that cash in hand was better than nothing. And I have several songs with copyrights that will never make me a dime.

Now I'm also getting royalty checks for a song I "produced and co-wrote" (I added a bridge). The actual songwriter took a "risk" by giving up part of his copyright and I took a risk by accepting a percent (of possibly nothing) rather than getting cash up front for my time and expertise (oh yeah, and the use of all my recording gear). He then "sold the song to a publishing house, who get 50%, another risk. When all is said and done - the song was recorded, is selling copies and the original writer is getting 1/4 of the royalties, his "partner" is getting 1/8 and I'm getting 1/8, (and the publisher is getting 1/2). But, that 1/8 is better than nothing (in particular when the checks comes "every few months").

I know a playwrite who sold the rights for a play to a Hollywood director (yes a legitimate young director being pursued by various studios). The director wanted to develop a screen adaptation of the play. The deal was stuctured so that at the end of three years the rights reverted back to the playwrite. So the playwrite made money (selling the rights) with a chance to make more money (if the movie did well) and protected the rights to the original work (if the movie wasn't made). A reasonable business risk all the way around. (There's still a year left on the option, so, we'll see what happens).

I'm sure I'll get slammed for my opinion, but I have seen so many songwriters copywrite thier material and many "start their own publishing company". Fine, your song is protected and published - but if it sits in a "catalog" where no one hears it what has been achieved? Sometimes, it is better to sell a song than to have it trapped in your head, but only if you believe the person buying the song can really do something with it - or - if they offer significant amounts of money. Does it make sense to sell your material - sometimes, maybe.

Hmmm

IMHO, I wouldn't ever sell my songs. Especially to other songwriters. What's that all about? Just think if someone was wanting to buy your songs for 20 grand. I bet they are worth 20 times that over a long period of time.

I feel you should copyright the material you feel is great and that you plan to promote.

As far as your own publishing company I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. Has anyone done this? Why would you want to?

JerryD

I think your last post hit it on the head - "if the material is great and you plan to promote it". The biggest problem with many writers, musicians (and the general public I'm sure) is lack of follow up.

If someone has great material and is willing to knock on doors and accept rejections over and over (until something clicks) then by all means copywrite and promote. But, if you don't have the skills, knowledge or motivation to promote, then maybe (and I stress "maybe") a bird in hand is better than nothing.

Remember "Macarena?"

Those guys did the mix for $1500. They're losing MILLIONS.

"Friends in Low Places" which was recorded by Garth...same deal to pay a bar tab.

"Crazy" by Willie Nelson, same deal.

dave @ kathode ray
www.indiebiz.com

Back