Selling music?

DanielMann

Hey, I've been reading a lot on HR for a while now but haven't really had much to input until now.
I've been helping a friend out a bit with looking into the possibilities of selling his music online, today I found something that I'd like some feedback on, so we don't do anything hasty.
There's so many different digital distributors out there, like the big ones, TuneCore, CDBaby and such. The thing is that we've got quite a lot of music and there's probably more coming so Ive been looking around for the best deal.
I found this small, Swedish distributor, Ubetoo, which seems great if you have lots of music - since they don't charge anything per release or upload. As it seems, you just pay for a base subscription and nothing more.
Can anyone take a look and help me on this?
ubetoo.com/distribution

EDIT: They seem to be giving away free distribution to newly registered members today, gonna give it a try and see how it looks inside.

There are still some important check lists that a self produced artist would do before he/she can sell his music:

Check list1: Copyrighting his/her work. An actual submission of completed CD to the government office is required to register the work with copyright office. If the artist writes and produces/record/mixes, etc his/her work; then a submission of both Form SR and Form PA is recommended although Form SR is enough for small projects.

Some distributors like the iTunes won't allow distribution to an indie artist if the artist itself did not own the sound recording. It is why it is important to have these copyright application settled before releasing any album.

Check list2: Embedding ISRC code. Royalty collectors such as Sound exchange etc. are using these code to track performance in radio, etc. So make sure that the released projects are embedded with ISRC code. If the album is digitally released, then ISRC can be embedded easily in the MP3 tracks.

Check list3: Marketing plan and promotions. Bear in mind that if you release the album for distribution, it needs some kind of marketing and promotion plan to get some sales.

Once all these check lists are cleared, then any type of distribution can possibly work(digital release for example), I would consider CD Baby, TuneCore and iTunes because they are known and have a lot of users. This means more sales...

Back