selling guitars questions

47ronin

this is probably a dumb question. Ive got two guitars i want to sell...one is a fender jaguar reissue and the other a rickenbacker 6 string (330) from the early nineties. I havent used them for a couple years and they are in perfect condition.

My question is neither of them right now have any strings on them. I really want to just take them down to the local store and sell them as I am going back to japan again (im in montana now). i dont really have time to try to sell them privately. I want to sell them to get the latest versions of reason and ableton live.

basically will it matter to the store if there are no strings on them when i try to sell them....i dont have any at my house right now and i am basically too lazy to put them on just to immediately sell the guitars...

i think if i said 700-800 bucks for the two they wont care....

what do you think,

flame away!

47ronin

I'd say put some strings on them or maybe at least call the store and ask how they might prefer to see a guitar you'd like them to buy.

:)

If you don't have strings on the guitar they will definatly give you less for the guitar because they will tell you they have to set it up properly now.\

If I had some cash I would be interest........:(

I have had loads of luck selling stuff on eBay.

I like eBay because, unlike selling stuff on consignment at a guitar shop, eBay don’t ask for 25% of your selling price!

eBay is more work and you have t ship stuff however, with a little care ( I use UPS as they insure stuff) this is not a biggy !

You NEED to put strings on those. If the neck's had a truss rod adjustment in either direction, the lack of force from the strings could warp it. Not a big concern if you leave 'em off for a short time, but over a couple of years, you could be talking about serious problems.

Stringing takes what, 20 minutes per axe? +$10 or less? No strings will send up a red flag to them, and they probably won't be as eager to deal if a flags in the air. I'd definately put strings on if I were you.

AcidRain said:
You NEED to put strings on those. If the neck's had a truss rod adjustment in either direction, the lack of force from the strings could warp it. Not a big concern if you leave 'em off for a short time, but over a couple of years, you could be talking about serious problems.

Sorry, but this is not true, at all. If you are not going to be playing a guitar for an extended period of time, it is recommended (by all major manufacturers and all repair shops worth their salt) that you loosen the strings completely. Remember, your guitar has a natural inclination, when stringed up, to become an accordion. I have been building and repairing guitars my whole life (it is the family business), and I have never seen a guitar damaged from not having strings on it. I have seen many guitars damaged from having strings on them. Next to humidity, nothing causes more damage to a guitar than the tension from the strings. Remember, we build guitars intentionally so they are barely strong enough to withstand the tension, because the sound better, and play easier that way.

Yes you should put strings on before you try to sell them, because it is impossible to evaluate a guitars set up and condition without them.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Yes I think I will definitely not be so lazy and take the simple step of putting strings on first!

47ronin

Back