selling beats

luckicharm

for those of u that sell your beats:
how much did u start selling them for?
how did u find artists to buy them?
how long do u make the beats u sell?
should i copywright my beats before i sell them?
thanx ;)

luckicharm said:
thanx ;)

1. I usually start at $300 for the LOW LOW LOW quality ones (usually to home boys). Regular customers, are $800 no less, up to $3500.
2. I know people.
3. what? some take 10 minutes & are hits, others take an hour and is sub par from the rest, others 3 hours or more and are banging hits. That all depends on the mood I'm in.
4. Yes

Mindset- thanx for the reply. i wasnt asking how long it takes to make the beat...i meant to ask how long you make the actual beat (3:30...4:00....)
thanx again :)

oh, well that depends on the same thing too :o sometimes your only in that 'moment' for a certain amount of time. I usually keep them at 4 minutes around there, unless it's REALLY something ill, than I'll throw it down at 2:45 to 3:25 minutes. If it's really ill, you don't want them to have ear fatigue & become bored because they've listened for 5 minutes.... you want to grasp their attention, usually it doesn't last that long for regular listeners, at 4 minutes & a half, a average listener is going to wonder when the hell the song going to end (of course this is broad as some people love certain songs etc). You give them 3 minutes of your time, and snatch it away from them. Then their attention span rises, and they start to play more of the tracks....

lets see..i started out at $200... for mixtapes and demos (now its $250)

$600 - $1,200 for indie artist.. then $2,500 and up for major artist.labels

network, look for artists that are looking for tracks..or someone told them about me..:D

it really depend if the artist..want the track extended to fit his song or shorter..i usually try and keep it over 3 minutes for the site..

yes you should..i usually wait until i have a a client that wants to buy..or if its for an album..i will let them do it with me as the author of the music..it all works out...for everyone... or another route just register them with my PRO ...(someone told me this by the way.and he is a big name producer...havent tried yet)

luckicharm said:
thanx ;)

1. I started selling them from $50 up to $500. I still charge this depending on the buyer. If I'm dealing with indie labels or larger, I usually charge a %5 fee based on units manufactured on top of a larger price for beats, usually around the $300 - $800 range, more if I have to make it custom from scratch.

2. Like others said, I networked like crazy (with other beat makers and musicians). You should probably start going to local rap concerts at small venues to hit up local talent (even if you don't feel them) and see what they're working with. I also use the internet to my advantage too. It's not going to get you anywhere near the possible sales that getting off your ass and hustling would, but it does help you see other markets that you can compete with.

3. I tend to make samples of my beats around the 1 min. - 1:30 min range. Since I don't use vocal tags in mine (and I cut the quality on samples to avoid beat jacking), I had to do something. The full beat usually is around 3 min to 4 mins (longer if it's a custom beat and the structure of it changes based on artist need).

4. Not just yes but HELL MUTHAFUCK YES!!! And don't do that poor man's copyright either, that's just bullshit. Put a group of your beats on a CD spend your $30 or so, send in your SR form and copyright that as a volume. Depending on how long your beats are, you should be able to fit about 20 of them on one CD. You might even be able to put them all on as MP3 and do it the same way, but don't quote me on that.

Fiev.

FIE..the fee is $45 per form..

since everyone missed it i guess i will post the answer from the copyright office on the format and the length of the beats here..

here is the email reply from the copyright office

As your registration will only extend to the matter you submit with your application, you should send a complete version of the music you wish to register.

We will accept sheet music or a tape- or CD recording. You may submit your material on one or more CD/DVDs in any non-proprietary format such as MP3, WMA or WAV. However, you should label your disc accordingly so that the examiner will know what equipment to use.

rg

**************IMPORTANT NOTE**************
As of July 1, 2006, most filing fees are $45 per application.
For other fees, please see:
http://www.copyright.gov/docs/fees.html

Copyright Office
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave SE
Washington DC 20559
(202) 707-3000
www.copyright.gov

Back