Selling a couple analog consoles...

I did, it's a shortloaded 636-VU-AF. It's taken some doing to seal up the deal and arrange to transport it 1,000 miles...and while that gets sorted out, it's time to move on the gear I don't need any more! I'll probably also be raising a little more selling a few handheld mics, a guitar pedal or two...kind of a good excuse to "clean house" (or studio as it were)....but first the big stuff...that MCI isn't what you'd call "little" ...or "cheap" ...hehe...did get a pretty good price on it, though, just more than I've got!

Last edited:
Yow!

You got any pics of the 636?

That's fantastic!

Is it being crated and freighted or what?

Congrats!! Gonna look nice next to your MCI 1" machine. :D

Gonna be picked up...no pics to show off yet, it'll be the end of the month before I have the console, until then I don't want to jinx it hehe. I'll tell you what, this purchase has been a complicated chore the likes of which I have never experienced, and I've bought and sold an awful lot of studio gear! It'll all be worth it in the end...

I agree it will look nice next to the 1" machine :D I think an MCI 2-track mixdown deck would be pretty sweet next to all that too...and a 2" 16 track hehe...but for now the ol' wad is a little blown, especially since there are some channels to service and I'm going to re-cap and re-socket the console...I would imagine some new Molexes are in its future too, we'll see...hoo boy am I glad there are a fair number of parts and maintenance in common with the 1" machine....not looking forward to wiring up all those Tuchel connectors, though. Boy have I taken consoles with XLRs and TRS jacks on the back for granted all these years...I feel "an MCI story" coming on, but better not put the cart before the horse. I am properly excited about it, though :D

Last edited:
Yow!

You got any pics of the 636?

That's fantastic!

Ohhh, what the hey, here are a couple of it in storage in its alluring "console hooker" pose, that is to say, on its back and longing to be picked up :D :D Modules removed and boxed, of course....it will be picked up from its temporary digs in a Texas garage later this month.

This puppy's going to get some modules serviced, some fresh VU lamps, wire it in and get it in service and then over time rebuild the PSUs and re-cap (only a couple thousand of the little buggers...lol), new IC sockets where needed, hopefully add a couple more VariQ modules, and eventually I'll look at some hot rodding vis-a-vis chip swaps and who knows what else.

frame3.jpg

frame2.jpg

Last edited:
Very, very, very cool, Brian.

What beaut. Love the wood. Even from just those pics it drips with quality.

Congrats.

Keep the pics coming as able.

Pretty cool sir. The funny thing is, I own both of those consoles you have for sale and ALMOST bought an MCI but that deal fell through. There's nothing better than wiring in a new console.

There's nothing better than wiring in a new console.

The above is certainly true if you're going through a breakup; I spent over 100 hours (really) building the wiring harness and patchbay for my M520 in late 2009 / early 2010. It was a welcome distraction! :)

Back