Sellin' my sm57 for $60

If you don`t find a SM57 useful, you should seriously consider doing something else, as it`s an extremely useful mic.
Anyone doing recordings has a bunch of them lying around.
Don`t sell it!

Amund

Agreeably the SM57 isn't the best mic for popping & spitting into, but who knows, maybe some day you'll decide you'd like to sing & then it could come in handy.

That's grounds for loss of membership here!

O.K., I have a confession to make...

Didn't like my '57 at first either, however, keep in mind they're
fine vocal microphones IF you have a decent mic pre (or better).
They become world class when mated with the right singer/pre.
So you may want to experiment with another mic pre to make it
shine. Also proper microphone positioning makes a huge difference too. Now I'd NEVER sell it! (especially with the VTB-1).

Chris

i used one of my 57's recently on harmonica and it turned out really good.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/rollingdingleberries/singles

"touch the sky" if you want to hear it.

the condenser was too reedy so i figured the 57 would sound smooth and sure enough it did.

for vocals you want to try it in a situation where you need a mellower sound. if the condenser is picking up too much highs. or you could just turn down the eq.

conversely you may want to try adding high frequencies to the 57 to make it sound more like a condenser.

keeping the 57 would be wise if you ever want to perform live.

:)

if all you want to do is rap, i'd suggest getting a shure beta87a (230), or just an SM-85 (160?), they are condensers and I think they'll give you more of the sound you want. The only thing you are gonna need is 48v phantom power, and if you are still having trouble with balanced connections, then this might not be a good idea.

If nothing else, the SM57 is an indispensable percussion mic. It excels at snare drum (both top and bottom), toms, and it even works for kick drum all right. I've also used it for odd sources like the sound of my foot stomping the ground, and the obnoxious reverb spring thunder bolt type sound when you kick your amp.

There's almost no loud source that it does not excel at. It is the industry standard on guitar amp (it stomps my MXL V67 into the ground). I concur with the rest of the people here: it is most definitely worth holding on to. You'll be sorry if you sell it.

I'll bet everyone's banging your doors down to take advantage of a bargain like that.

Back