Self Tuning Guitars

That's fcukin amazing! Guitar computers. If they put all those buttons on the side of the guitar where the LCD is, I'd think about ordering it. How much is it?

from the FAQs:

What does the Performer system cost?

The installation price for the tuning system in a Les Paul or Telecaster style guitar is $3,399. The Stratocaster style guitar requires additional work and is priced at $3,899. Contact the company for additional information.

adam said:
from the FAQs:

What does the Performer system cost?

The installation price for the tuning system in a Les Paul or Telecaster style guitar is $3,399. The Stratocaster style guitar requires additional work and is priced at $3,899. Contact the company for additional information.
Good lawd!!! I guess if you gig a lot and use lots of alternate tunings it's worth it. I would have just used it to automatically tune to the standard tuning. That's one more gadget I won't convince myself that I need.

This is not new, it's been around for years. One of the first guys to use the system was a guitarist named Dave Beagle, from Colorado I think. It makes your guitar incredibly heavy (can you imagine a Les Paul being even heavier?! )
It's cool to hit a chord such as an open "E", push a button, and listen to the guitar retune itself to a new chord. After that novelty wears off, what's the point? For the same money I'd rather have 3 guitars all tuned to a different tuning!

A
www.aaroncheney.com

I do agree with you Aaron, the price is steep. I was wondering if they sell a kit where I can fit it to my axe. I am going to be building an Explorer this summer. I would imagine most of that cost that they quote, is the fitting cost. It has to be fairly labor intensive.

The other part that intrigued me was the availability of a midi output. They only mention that in the video. It has to have an A/D converter in it. Now how accurate and how fast it is would be critical.

I asked a lot of these questions and I will post once they answer.

Stupid

That is out of control. The next thing you know there will be a day planner and cell phone built in. The last place I want to see an LCD display is on my guitar.

no kiddin man. americans are getting so lazy its ridiculous. That ruins the point of the guitar, I saw an automatic tuner on ebay. you put it on the tuning keys and it automatically spins them.

Aaron Cheney said:
This is not new, it's been around for years. One of the first guys to use the system was a guitarist named Dave Beagle, from Colorado I think. It makes your guitar incredibly heavy (can you imagine a Les Paul being even heavier?! )
It's cool to hit a chord such as an open "E", push a button, and listen to the guitar retune itself to a new chord. After that novelty wears off, what's the point? For the same money I'd rather have 3 guitars all tuned to a different tuning!

A
www.aaroncheney.com

Agreed.
The website states that it increases the weight by 8 oz.
That system looks a lot heaver than 8 oz, each string has it's own independent motor.

juststartingout said:
I do agree with you Aaron, the price is steep. I was wondering if they sell a kit where I can fit it to my axe. I am going to be building an Explorer this summer. I would imagine most of that cost that they quote, is the fitting cost. It has to be fairly labor intensive.

I doubt they will do that. I'm sure most of the profit from the $3,399 they charge you is from the instalation.

Besides, what will all that routing do to the value of your guitar?

Pretty amazing, but way too much $$$. Plus, you have to have an extention cord plugged into your guitar. They claim it won't effect intonation, in reality you usually need to adjust the truss rod when changing tunings. If I could get one for free, I would try it in a beater guitar. From what I saw of the video, Page still sounded out of tune.

That is pretty cool. Hopefully they can get the price down to under a grand. Being able to switch from drop D or an open tuning to standard in the middle of a song would be sweet.

Steve Klein had an acoustic at the Healdsburg guitar festival with a similar (or maybe even the same) system in 2001. It actually sounded a lot better than I had expected. Still, very expensive, and there is just no way to get around the intonation issues which WOULD be a problem. Intonation is set for a specific string tension, and so is different for each note on each string.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back