seeking studio soundproof advice

CrayPhish

I am creating a small practice/recording space in my basement (about 8x10 total). One wall backs up to the main stairwell and is load bearing. My door swings into the room and backs up to this wall. I currently have about 1.5" clearance behind the hinge (there's already 5/8 drywall there) and I'm wondering what is the best (and most cost effective) use of this space? I know I won't be able to make it truly soundproof but I would like to do as well as I can. I thought about 3/4" polysyrene covered with 3/4" cement board, what do you think?? Thanks for you expertise-

Sounds good, if all you can spare is 1 1/2". I'd be more concerned with your door leakage (but that wall needs it too).

What would work a little better would be to put two panels of that cement board back to back, IMHO.

Probably but I'm a little concerned about the weight pulling down my stairwell and the entire house with it! Anything better than polystyrene to provide a soft cushion between the two?

Well, for a while there I was thinking of putting carpet pad between the walls and my "subwalls", kindof gluing the entire side of the pad to the wall and the entire side of the concrete panel to the pad (after the original glue had dried). I never did it (that way), so I can't tell you how it worked. :(

Sheet bok and lesser expensive Audio seal are pretty good suff, albeit not so cheap. Check out John's (Sayers) link. He knows his garbonzos! Search for Sayers, you won't be disappointed.

Back