Seeking Snow Leopard LE 8 Enlightenment

Rusty K

I just made the switch to Mac. It's been a week of hassle but I think I'm almost setup and back to normal. I would like to hook up with other mac users and pick some brains though. :)

1. What's the best way to manage plugins? I like the Massey Demos and they are on many of my old sessions. I've downloaded them but I'm not sure where to store them and how to integrate them into PT.

2. On installation of LE 8 and the patch, I got the message that I should disable Spotlight and Dashboard...new to mac and without a clue.

Plugins in general should handle their own placement through their installation programs. Initially run the installers and pick the defaults.

As for turning spotlight indexing off for your external audio playback/recording drive you need to add it to a 'private" list;

To add a drive to the Private list, go to System Preferences>Spotlight, click on the Privacy tab and drag the drive icon on your desktop to the privacy list window or click on the '+' sign under the list and then select the drive you want to make private, adding it to the list.

I haven't disabled the dashboard and for the most part it has not caused me any grief, however if you want to turn it off entirely, here are some instructions;
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1251631

Plugins in general should handle their own placement through their installation programs. Initially run the installers and pick the defaults.

As for turning spotlight indexing off for your external audio playback/recording drive you need to add it to a 'private" list;

To add a drive to the Private list, go to System Preferences>Spotlight, click on the Privacy tab and drag the drive icon on your desktop to the privacy list window or click on the '+' sign under the list and then select the drive you want to make private, adding it to the list.

I haven't disabled the dashboard and for the most part it has not caused me any grief, however if you want to turn it off entirely, here are some instructions;

Hey Thanks, I haven't had time to open a session yet...as a matter of fact I still have to transfer those files from my old pc. By the term "drive" are you talking about Mbox? Is this Preferences/Spotlight>privacy the same as wavemapper in Windows?

Last edited:

I followed your instructions and I loaded a demo session from the loops install CD and everything worked just fine. Thanks again...

Hey Thanks, I haven't had time to open a session yet...as a matter of fact I still have to transfer those files from my old pc. By the term "drive" are you talking about Mbox? Is this Preferences/Spotlight>privacy the same as wavemapper in Windows?
Hope things are progressing for you.

Not sure what wavemapper is... not as versed in Windows as MAC technology apparently.
The 'disk' I was referring to is the recording/playback drive you would be using for audio recording. It is a generally accepted rule that a separate audio (separate from your system drive) be used for pro-tools. That is the drive that should be setup as private under the spotlight preferences.

Back