Seeking opinions/thoughts...

hiwatt357

on this guitar tone.

And if you critique my playing, that's fine, but just keep in mind...it was just to quickly get a song idea down and everything is a first take (except for the bass) and recorded in my dining room. So don't hate. ;)

EDIT: Secondary title to this thread should be..."Try to guess what I'm using" :D

Last edited:
the guitar is a bit down on the mix, whatever you're using isn't sounding like a big amp/cab, I'd guess some sorta DI system?... :confused:

Jouni said:
the guitar is a bit down on the mix, whatever you're using isn't sounding like a big amp/cab, I'd guess some sorta DI system?... :confused:

Hey, thanks for the input.

It's actually my MIM Tele through a Vox AD60VT (same as the VTX, but with an open cab) on the Soldano model, mic'ed with a 57.

But your comment makes me maybe want to rethink some things.

I agree that the guitar could be higher in the mix. I had tubes put in my ears in February due to a surgery, and I swear that my hearing has been off ever since. And since I usually dump the track files when I just track a song idea, I can't remix it unless I just record it all over again.

But if it's sounding like a DI system, that's not good. I reckon I need to tinker with mic placement.

Thanks again for the comment.

hiwatt357 said:
Hey, thanks for the input.

It's actually my MIM Tele through a Vox AD60VT (same as the VTX, but with an open cab) on the Soldano model, mic'ed with a 57.

But your comment makes me maybe want to rethink some things.

I agree that the guitar could be higher in the mix. I had tubes put in my ears in February due to a surgery, and I swear that my hearing has been off ever since. And since I usually dump the track files when I just track a song idea, I can't remix it unless I just record it all over again.

But if it's sounding like a DI system, that's not good. I reckon I need to tinker with mic placement.

Thanks again for the comment.

Before I read a single response, and as I was listening to the song I was wondering why your drums were the prominent instrument in the mix, especially considering we're listening to the guitar :D The guitar doesn't sound bad at all, I didn't think it sounded di'd at all, just not properly mixed.

jonnyc said:
Before I read a single response, and as I was listening to the song I was wondering why your drums were the prominent instrument in the mix, especially considering we're listening to the guitar :D The guitar doesn't sound bad at all, I didn't think it sounded di'd at all, just not properly mixed.

Good input. Again, I think these tubes in my ears are partially to blame. Although, based on past band experience, especially being a guitarist primarily, I think I've made extra effort to make sure that drums and bass are heard in the mix so those cats would be happy...sometimes at the sake of my own guitar tracks.

Again...sounds like I need to re-think some stuff.

This is one of the reasons this forum is a great tool. :)

IMO regardless of volume, It doesn't sound very clear. I would move around the mic a little more on the speaker.

Back