Seeking Ideas or Designs for Small "Cabinet" to House Mac Mini & External Drives

MoBettaBlues

Seeking Ideas or Designs for Small "Cabinet" to House Mac Mini & External Drives

I'm seeking ideas or designs for a small "Cabinet" to house Mac Mini & External Drives (For Backups) that I can keep right in my 1 room studio. I was considering running cables into an adjacent room but decided against this because I would need Firewire extenders (going beyond 15'), extended display monitor cables, extended USB, etc.

I think a cabinet is more practical and could be fairly small.

These are not very loud and I would probably need minimal decoupling and absorbtion.

Has anyone done this and if so, can you share your experience and advice?

Thanks.

Why are you trying to make a 'cabinet' for them if noise is not the issue? Laptops and drives get hot, they need ventilation.
If it is the fan noise you are trying to combat, throw a moving blanket over the desk when you are tracking with a mic, then remove it as soon as you're done.

Appreciate the response. Please see my reply below:

Why are you trying to make a 'cabinet' for them if noise is not the issue?

I didn't neccisaril;y say noise was not an issue. It's not a big issue but I would like to improve it while I can. These are not very loud and I would probably need minimal decoupling and absorbtion.

Laptops and drives get hot, they need ventilation.
If it is the fan noise you are trying to combat, throw a moving blanket over the desk when you are tracking with a mic, then remove it as soon as you're done.

I would rather come up with a solution so I don't have to do that. I'm sure they need ventilation but probably not a great deal. I have to believe someone is doing this already.

In order to make a 'cabinet' noise proof, you'll need to decouple the equipment from the cabinet itself - rubber isolation pads, 'acoustic' foam on the interior, etc.

In order to make a 'cabinet' noise proof, you'll need to decouple the equipment from the cabinet itself - rubber isolation pads, 'acoustic' foam on the interior, etc.

Yep, understood. Hoping someone has a design completed so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Back