Seeking ideas for a melody to go w/chord changes (Rock song)

SweetDan

Here's the "tune"/song, as it were:

I've got the chords and structure worked out. I'm just stumped for words (never was very good at that), and while usually I can come up with a workable melody over chord changes, I'm a little stumped here. (Maybe I made the arrangement too "thick" already, and there's no room for melody?)

I'm open to your ideas on this...thanks.

I write with a rhythm guitar and a click track. I don't add lead until last. The lead here is distracting and takes over the whole song. It's doesn't allow for much singing over the chords to find a melody. Write some lyrics, Create the melody around the chords using the lyrics. Without lyrics you can't move much.

Yeah, what ido1957 says is spot on. Remove the solo & give yourself a chance to form a melody.

Yes, I agree that the lead guitar takes up too much spotlight. I guest, though, I'm also looking for ideas (brainstorming) for what else I could fill that space with. What does this tune/beat/chord-progression make you think about? What's this song about? (The title, "Whitehead", is replaceable too...) It's a minor-ish mode, so it's not a song about flowers and candy canes. Probably not a love tune. So, what is it, in your mind?

Yes, I agree that the lead guitar takes up too much spotlight. I guest, though, I'm also looking for ideas (brainstorming) for what else I could fill that space with. What does this tune/beat/chord-progression make you think about? What's this song about? (The title, "Whitehead", is replaceable too...) It's a minor-ish mode, so it's not a song about flowers and candy canes. Probably not a love tune. So, what is it, in your mind?

It's your song, you get to choose. Good exercise in songwriting.

I gave it a listen and decided that it is a James Bond song. Or any spy of your choice, maybe Spy vs Spy. :D

Back