secrets anyone!!!

JHOOKS

ok pleasants folks of the bbs! im not sure when this was done last, but hey never hurts to ask. i wanted to know how you guys accomplish the big "MIX SOUNDDDD!!!!" :D any tips, secrets , pointers, cash, or credit card would be kindly accepted! ahh... anyone??? ok i'll start-

my little secret to get a big a asssss hiphop kick drum is as follow. I use the mangler and they have a deep square synth preset i like, i tweak it alil to get a really nice low end to the kick THAT YOU FEEL MORE THEN HEAR and then use a touch of compression and eq to get the really lowwwwwww end stuff out ,that mucks up the kick and bang!!!! i have a low end subkick that still retains its presents with out foging things up.

ps all you technical guys, please dont try to pass judgement on weather this is the right or wrong way to do this, ITS MUSIK SO IF IT SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU THEN ITS GOOD!

I like to put subliminal, backwards messages in to all of my mixes.

Basically, a barely audible voice saying:

"This mix is fat and full. Round and punchy. You can't believe how good this sounds. Oh yeaaa ! ! yea ! ! ! You want to take my panties off for Chessrock, don't you?! He's the man! "

Oy vey.

K, heres a tip.

Dont mix hip hop so damn loud, itll make you go deaf, and then no amount of "tips" will make a difference.

Ive been to too many studios where the hip hop/rap recordist is blaring the monitors like he would in his G Ride while mixing. :rolleyes:

-Finster

And the number 1 reason why more men and women prefer boxers...

chessrock said:
I like to put subliminal, backwards messages in to all of my mixes.You want to take my panties off for Chessrock, don't you?!

:D

G.

Hrm... my secret tips... at least the one's I'm willing to share:

1.) Yank electric guitars down around 3khz by 1-2 db to make room for vocals, eliminate harshness.

2.) Make sure you record everything to a rock-solid phase coherency from drum overheads, to multiple mics on a guitar cabinet.

3.) Don't use 4x12 cabinets when recording guitar, use 2x12 or 1x12 cabinets instead.

4.) Record bass amps at moderate (non-room shaking) volumes.

5.) Tune and check the drum kit for rattles, buzzes, wobbles and other extraneous noises.

6.) Position mics so the stand arm is out of the way to avoid that annoying, yet barely perceptible, bounce back.

7.) Record everything to the same volume so that my faders MEAN something when I'm mixing. I.e. don't "mix" with your recording levels.

8.) McDsp Analog Channel on everything.

9.) Always put more mics up on a drum kit than you really need--you can always mute/erase them later. If the drummer has a china cymbal mic that because they will ALWAYS want it stupidly loud in the mix.

10.) Mute extraneous parts in tracks. If the drummer isn't playing the high hat that mic is muted (or the parts deleted), the the drummer isn't playing his toms mute those, if the guitarist isn't playing mute them. The less cymbal bleed you can get from your dynamic mics around the drum kit the better it will sound. Kill noise dead.

11.) On most rock mixes turn the bass guitar off until you are near the end. Make *IT* fit a solid drum/guitar/synth/vocal mix rather than the other way around. A little bass guitar often goes a long, long way.

12.) Mix in mono until you are almost finished. If you achieve clarity and seperation without stereo panning your mix is good, and will get better once you expand it.

13.) Ultra wide mixes are the signs of an amature engineer. Make things spacious but not sounding like the drum kit is 100' across.

14.) Never master your own mixes/recordings.

15.) Make sure the bass guitar gets on the master reverb buss, but only a little bit--like -50db or something should be fine.

16.) Plate reverbs + vocals = sonic goodness.

17.) Plate reverbs + almost anything else = sonic badness (the occasional snare excluded).

18.) Wanting to sound like John Bonham starts and ends with the player. It cannot be mic'd, compressed, or eq'd that way.

19.) Room mics (on everything) are your friend.

20.) Neumann U87's are overrated. Get U89's instead.

the secret is.... THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO SECRETS, NO MAGIC BOXES, NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL...... there, now you know... go to your room!

13.) Ultra wide mixes are the signs of an amature engineer. Make things spacious but not sounding like the drum kit is 100' across.

the mainstream stuff i keep hearing all the time is done by amateur engineers?

foreverain4 said:
the secret is.... THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO SECRETS, NO MAGIC BOXES, NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL...... there, now you know... go to your room!
cloneboy your the shitttttttttt for those tips man! :D :D
although there might not be one secret that works magic but there are foundation and starting points that each of us have to start on the good foot.like for instance i took this from manny marquin-- ithink this is his last name(mixes for kanye, alicia keys, maroon 5). i was reading an article and he said work in stems(after you set your levels) it makes things alot easier to work wit and it glues your stuff together alot easier.

Back