sebatron and firepod

rightbrainnow

ok so my sebatron vp 4000e came in yesterday...and i finally got a chance to try it out today. first of all..WOW..Sebatron is worlds beyond the basic cheap pre's ive heard....things actually sound real. Anyways, Zachary(me) did not do enough research. I now realize that my firepod may limit me to only being able to use 2 of the 4 channels in my sebatron. There are two trs input jacks for what presonus labes "preamp outlet". The sebatron users manual says not to input into any of the XLR's of my "recording device". The firepod has those dual XLR TRS input things, but im assuming that its better to stay away from those. SO! my question...are there any other inputs on the firepod i could use to get the other two channels of my Sebatron pre? or does this require having to buy a different "recording device"...if it does require a different recording device..any reccomendations?

From Presounus' site about the firepod:

Inputs one and two of the FIREPOD can be switched between microphone or instrument level while inputs three thru eight can be switched between microphone or line input. Phantom power (+48V) is available on every channel in groups of four. Channels 1 and 2 feature fully balanced send and return TRS connectors on the rear of the rugged metal chassis for inserting outboard dynamics, EQ and effects processors. The FIREPOD has eight balanced TRS line outputs as well two balanced TRS MAIN outputs as well as CUE outputs for addtional monitoring.

sdelsolray said:
From Presounus' site about the firepod:

Inputs one and two of the FIREPOD can be switched between microphone or instrument level while inputs three thru eight can be switched between microphone or line input. Phantom power (+48V) is available on every channel in groups of four. Channels 1 and 2 feature fully balanced send and return TRS connectors on the rear of the rugged metal chassis for inserting outboard dynamics, EQ and effects processors. The FIREPOD has eight balanced TRS line outputs as well two balanced TRS MAIN outputs as well as CUE outputs for addtional monitoring.

...but when i went into those other TRS outputs, they didnt work...only when i used the "TRS connectors on the rear of the rugged metal chassis for inserting outboard dynamics, EQ and effects processors" did i get a signal from the Sebatron.

also..from the sebatron manual "make sure that you are connecting to a line level input, not a microphone input. Many modern computer recording interfaces have 2 or more XLR microphone inputs and several TRS line inputs. In this case, use a balanced XLR to TRS cable or if unavailable, use a balance TRS to TRS cable fromt he vmp's secondary output."

the firepod has 9 TRS outputs..not inputs. It only has 2 TRS inputs...so am i screwed?

also..from the sebatron manual "make sure that you are connecting to a line level input, not a microphone input. Many modern computer recording interfaces have 2 or more XLR microphone inputs and several TRS line inputs. In this case, use a balanced XLR to TRS cable or if unavailable, use a balance TRS to TRS cable fromt he vmp's secondary output."

the firepod has 8 TRS outputs..not inputs. It only has 2 TRS inputs...so am i screwed?

rightbrainnow said:
the firepod has 9 TRS outputs..not inputs. It only has 2 TRS inputs...so am i screwed?

All of the XLR connections are also TRS inputs. Channels 3-8 take line inputs via the front. If that isn't working for you, either you have configured something wrong or something is wrong one of the two pieces of hardware. Those inputs should work just fine with a line level signal.

Make sure you aren't inadvertently hooking the other two outputs up to front panel inputs 1 & 2. Those are disabled if you have something plugged into the back line input....

You have more than two simultaneous inputs. You have 8. Let's say that again. You have 8. It looks like channels INPUTS 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 will handle the Sebatron outputs. Hook it up right and it will work.

jesus christ...you dont have to be a smart ass...as i was saying. The sebatron users manual says not to go into the XLR inputs, and i cleary asked if it was a problem that the firepod featured the XLR/TRS dual input things. The sebatron manual says taht if you go into an XLR and apply phantom power, that it will increase noise and may cause damages. Is is that retarded of me to be cautious of plugging a TRS cable in the XLR input thinking that that input would be sharing the same signal as the XLR cable?

rightbrainnow said:
Is is that retarded of me to be cautious of plugging a TRS cable in the XLR input thinking that that input would be sharing the same signal as the XLR cable?

Well... we have google for a reason

-jeffrey

rightbrainnow said:
jesus christ...you dont have to be a smart ass...as i was saying. The sebatron users manual says not to go into the XLR inputs, and i cleary asked if it was a problem that the firepod featured the XLR/TRS dual input things. The sebatron manual says taht if you go into an XLR and apply phantom power, that it will increase noise and may cause damages. Is is that retarded of me to be cautious of plugging a TRS cable in the XLR input thinking that that input would be sharing the same signal as the XLR cable?

No, I always wondered about that myself until I bought some of those combo jacks and wired them up. The only thing the two jacks share is the ground, and I might be remembering wrong about that.

The way it is probably wired is with the normalled version of the combo jacks. If you plug in the XLR plug, it goes into the pre. The output of the pre goes into the normalling source pins, which are connected to the 1/4" input contacts. If you plug in the 1/4" plug, it breaks the connection between the outputs of the pres and the line inputs and instead connects your source to those line input contacts.

$a1Ty said:
i do believe channels 1 and 2 take line level as well, someone correct me if this is wrong

Yes. They're on the back. The front panel TRS jacks on the first two channels are instrument pres (no phantom, different input impedance).

dgatwood said:
Yes. They're on the back. The front panel TRS jacks on the first two channels are instrument pres (no phantom, different input impedance).
lmao you're a champion, i feel like such a douche, i have 2 firepods and i never noticed that hahahahaha

rightbrainnow said:
Anyways, Zachary(me) did not do enough research. I now realize that ..any reccomendations?

Maybe its just me but I completely know how to hook up my equipment before I go spending a wad of cash on gear. It kinda makes you wonder about the people who buy this stuff. Maybe some good musicians who have the cash and who are wanting better sound but are really not that electronically / mechanically inclined? Which is fine, learning is learning be it the cheap way or expensive way. I don't want to steer anyone the wrong way but I see it all the time, someone buys a killer piece of gear and uh-oh these holes don't match with these ones? Hmmmm. Man, before you buy it at least make sure your stuff works together especially these higher ticket items.

Anyway, what sdelsolray said. Good luck on your sweet preamp.

riffy said:
Maybe its just me but I completely know how to hook up my equipment before I go spending a wad of cash on gear. It kinda makes you wonder about the people who buy this stuff. Maybe some good musicians who have the cash and who are wanting better sound but are really not that electronically / mechanically inclined? Which is fine, learning is learning be it the cheap way or expensive way. I don't want to steer anyone the wrong way but I see it all the time, someone buys a killer piece of gear and uh-oh these holes don't match with these ones? Hmmmm. Man, before you buy it at least make sure your stuff works together especially these higher ticket items.

Anyway, what sdelsolray said. Good luck on your sweet preamp.

damn..well i did research the "holes" matching up together. The instruction manual just caught me off guard when it said not to go into an XLR input. Just wanted to be cautious of not damaging my expensive piece of gear...if that "makes you wonder", then thats kinda lame, but thanks for the wish of good luck...so far it is a sweet preamp.

Back