Searching for the right Distortion

HangDawg said:
What the hell are we talking about anyway? I don't think we are on the same page here.

I agree, the whole point of the original post went out the window with a tangent of a tangent. Over and out.

ggunn said:
That's a sweeping generalization. Lots of us use small amps mic'ed at performances. Me, for example; my main amp is a '64 BFDR @ 22 watts.

Yeah, I know, totally overgeneralizing.

EDIT: ...if overgeneralizing is a word. It is, isn't it?

zacanger said:
...I don't know what it is, exactly, but no guitarists on this forum seem to be up to the task of putting a mic on an amp and sending it through the PA.

I do it every gig. It's pretty much the standard way of doing things when you're playing pubs and clubs isn't it.

Yes, you do rely on the sound guy a lot!

It's better than just going through the backline in the majority of cases though. In anything larger than a very small room, just a backline will sound terrible.

It's better to hear every instrument in every part of the venue, rather than having to go over by the bar to hear the guitar, stand in the corner to hear the keys, etc etc.

Also, a good sound guy will balance out the instruments, so that everybody is living in their own frequency range - otherwise, although you may sound great on stage, you'll just sound like a mush of noise to the audience I'm afraid - especially if you're on a hollow stage!

metalhead28 said:
I always prefered to mic up my guitar, it ensures that my sound will be spread out more evenly, and that I can hear myself in the monitors rather than just straining to hear my amp alone.

Wow! I never played in a band that put any guitar in the monitors. As a race, we're generally too fucking loud anyway in the opinion of band mates.

Codmate said:
I do it every gig. It's pretty much the standard way of doing things when you're playing pubs and clubs isn't it.

Yes, you do rely on the sound guy a lot!

It's better than just going through the backline in the majority of cases though. In anything larger than a very small room, just a backline will sound terrible.

It's better to hear every instrument in every part of the venue, rather than having to go over by the bar to hear the guitar, stand in the corner to hear the keys, etc etc.

Also, a good sound guy will balance out the instruments, so that everybody is living in their own frequency range - otherwise, although you may sound great on stage, you'll just sound like a mush of noise to the audience I'm afraid - especially if you're on a hollow stage!

Exactly .

Back